• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

rejected image

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first image was rejected for "exposure problem". Would someone be able to tell me if it is over-exposed or under-exposed? What should I be looking for to know if this is a problem in the future and is there a way to fix it? Very new at this and appreciate your advice. Thank you

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Participant , Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Hello hannahw23717666,

Please find attached some non-technical notes I have made.

Apologies in advance for handwriting on your work, I found it quicker and was with the sole purpose of providing some help beyond the "plain" rejection legend we all might have get once or more in our work.

Just trying to provide an "out of the box" perspective. My contribution is with good intentions only and hopefully produce one smile.

For more formal and professional comments listen to the guys that clearly kno

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Hello,

When editing be sure to look at your histogram in Photoshop for example.

InkedHistogram.jpg

Your histogram shows that it is underexposed!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am prone to say that the reviewer simply don't like dogs. The focus is right on the eyes. The picture is a tiny bit under-exposed (not enough to be rejected). There is no noise or atifacts. I suggest that you add a bit more white, and while you are at it, some sharpness. Then submit it again. My feelings is that reviewers are very picky for the first three submited pictures. 

Also, you might want to frame it differently, by using the rule of thirds and putting Rusty's nose and eyes on the cross.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I really appreciate the feedback. Will try to implement your suggestions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@switchlab: if the reviewer would not like dogs, the refusal would be a different one. The dog is clearly underexposed.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello hannahw23717666,

Please find attached some non-technical notes I have made.

Apologies in advance for handwriting on your work, I found it quicker and was with the sole purpose of providing some help beyond the "plain" rejection legend we all might have get once or more in our work.

Just trying to provide an "out of the box" perspective. My contribution is with good intentions only and hopefully produce one smile.

For more formal and professional comments listen to the guys that clearly know what they are talking about.

Keep shooting, learning, observing, and specially, having fun!

Cheers,

V

hannahw23717666--IMG-0087.jpg

V

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I appreciate your feedback (and yes it did give me a smile). Editing is not my strong suit at this point, hoping to get better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hannah,

As said, it is definitely under exposed. To check for exposure you need to zoom to between 50 and 100%. If the image looks a bit shadowy, it is underexposed. In the case of the dog especially close to the nose you will notice a slight gray, shadowy appearance. It should be looking as though it is well lit. That is how your photos should be - well lit, with correct exposure.

In this case with your photo editor, you will need to increase exposure. Since this file has a white background, when you do, you may need to recover highlights and white by reducing those. 

In addition, in the future apply more depth of field.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I really appreciate the feedback and will try to implement your suggestions in future. Editing is not my strong suit at this point and I am hoping to improve in this area

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When editing be sure to look at your histogram in Photoshop for example.

InkedHistogram.jpg

Your histogram shows that it is underexposed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say it's because it looks as though you used a flash that can give sometimes a blue hue on things. But I tried to submit flash photos which were fine but they still rejected them. Unless you have very bright artificial or photography lights, you will be best to photograph the doggy outside. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience with the blue cast, is usually when the correct white balance is not selected. It is best to use manually stet white balance for indoor photos. Many times I do not do it, especially if I want a quick shot; in which case I take my chance with Auto white balance Sometimes I get away with it, other times I don't. There are several photos I take with flash, and they are accepted. You need to know how to use flash, otherwise avoid it and use exposure compensation instead. It is good however to learn when, and how to use flash, since there are many times that is the better way to go.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A flash should be calibrated to produce a daylight like colour temperature, but other lights in your room or reflections from the wall may produce a different colour cast. Colour correction is not always apt to correct this, especially if you mix up lights of different colour temperatures.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

However, in this case, with the dog, by correcting the exposure, the white balance itself is corrected. 

Rusty_exposure correction.jpg

Using a flash that is on the camera though does produce a harsh light!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines