• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Seeking technical advice for image rejected due to "Artifacts".

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

This image was rejected with the given reason of Artifacts.

I'm a bit new to all of this, so would appreciate someone helping me to see the issues,

so I can avoid them in future.

Thank you,

Ben

DSCF6010.JPG

 

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some artifacts are created in camera and some are created by excessive processing. It doesn't look like you did much processing, if any, to this image, so I would assume that the artifacts are a side effect of your camera's processing. This article provides more insight into what causes artifacts and how to prevent them:
https://www.lifewire.com/avoid-artifacts-in-digital-photos-493765

You have chunks of blocky pixels which are probably due to a small sensor; these cannot be corrected by processing. You have chromatic aberration which can be corrected in Light Room or Photoshop. 

You have some lens spots and blurry birds in the sky which can be erased in Light Room or PS.

You also have a rather overexposed featureless sky which can be darkened a bit in post processing, and a leaning horizon which can also be corrected.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for guiding me through the issues. Easy to see when someone points them out.

Overall, I think I need to do more processing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know the reason was artifacts? I see several technical errors with this photo.

1. the horizon is not level.

2. birds that are blurred.

3. focus is too soft.

4. no details in the sky.

5. artifacts around the trees.

6. not cropped to Rule of Thirds.

Landscapes are also better in a panorama format. Such as 3:1 or 16:9.

I would go for this look with the above corrections made:

Untitled-1-Edit.jpg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ralph Lear,

Luminar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom and Photoshop.

copy the original, add a sky layer between them, add a mask to the copied original and with a brush bring in the sky. Very easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! That looks incredible. I will definitely be following your steps and attempting to replicate that.

I see the issues you mentioned. I think I need to do a lot more post-processing. I've been primarily submitting raw images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines