• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Someone please critique this image.

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help with the critique of my image. This was one of about nine I submitted (all of which were rejected). I had uploaded a signed property release along with each individual one. I can't think of why it would have been rejected apart from intellectual copyright infringment. Can post some of the other images if needed... Christmas Decor-0067 copy.jpg 

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @KDJ Imagery ,

A reason was given for the rejection. It would be helpful if you let us know what it is. Am I correct to assume the watermark was not uploaded as part of your submission?

Zoom your file to 100% and you will observe that the candies are not completely sharp. Also if you zoom up to about 200% you will observe color fringing at the edge of the top candy that is out of focus.

Best wishes

JG

Photographer and Nutrition Author

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your valuable input. The reasons for all were the same "Technical Issues". Yes, as for the low res sized watermarked upload, I did that deliberately so that people can't steal my image. Just as a security measure. About the color infringement, I went back in and viewed the image at 100% and I didn't see any. I always check mark the box to adjust for chromatic aberrations/lens corrections in post when I edit them in Lightroom. As for the image being out of focus, I had intentionally shot at f2.8 to achieve the blurred background. I assume that it was maybe a little too shallow? Perhaps I should have shot at around f3-4. I'll be watching that in the future. 

It's funny that was shot with a 40mm prime lens and that was the only angle I could get with it! I have since purchased a new lens that produces better quality images, or at least I hope. I haven't shot any interior images like this one with it as of yet. It's odd, some of my images are rejected unless I put in the title of the image what type of image it is, for example I shot a low key image of my cat in the window. She was staring at me wondering what I was doing and I wanted to capture that inquisitive look. I had put in the title "Low key image of cat in a window" and it was approved, yet I had submitted other images that were about the same in exposure/composition and they were not approved.

Also, I noticed that when I tried to right click on my image up there and tried to save it I noticed it was going to be saved as a "web page complete" and thus can't be downloaded/saved. Here is another one of my images, what do you think about it? I don't shoot very many interior images like this and when I shot these I tried and arrange things to where if I were a designer I'd cover up things as best as possible. However, I see that I forgot about that darn gas pipe! Anyways, thanks for your help and let me know what you think about the other attached image.

Cheers,

Keith J.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @KDJ Imagery,

There's green and yellow fringing at the top left of the center top candy that is out of focus.

jacquelingphoto2017_0-1636053282214.png

Your entire subject must be sharp so that customers can cut it out of its background. In my experience when you zoom in very close on a subject the background tend to blur. Otherwise you can set the camera on Macro. That settings I hardly use, but that's an option. F-4 is also too shallow for the depth subject. I prefer have the background visible than to end-up with a subject that is not completely in focus.

I believe the approval when stating what type of image is co-incidence. 

You: Also, I noticed that when I tried to right click on my image up there and tried to save it I noticed it was going to be saved as a "web page complete" and thus can't be downloaded/saved.

If you are talking about the image you upload to this forum, you first have to click on the double arrow and then right click to select what you want to do with the image. You can save image as or copy image, or open in new tab.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @KDJ Imagery,

The frame is underexposed. Too much is out of focus. You needed more depth of field. There is also a red color fringing where the Santa Clause is.

jacquelingphoto2017_0-1636054723930.png

To check your images you sometimes need to zoom in at up to 200%. You need to pay attention to the indicators in your camera's viewfinder for indication of good exposure.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you say it's under exposed, like how much? I had just gotten some Godox hotshoe flashes at the time and I was using them off camera and am learning how to use them. I thought using them in full i-ttl mode they were supposed to automatically match up with my cameras metering. For the most part I was bouncing them off either the ceiling or walls, and some images I found I had to increase the exposure in post! 

As for the color fringing, is it possible that it occurs as a result of the image being out of focus? Also, does that happen a lot with images that are very static? For example I like photographing birds and my lens is a Tamron 150-600mm and I see a lot of times when areas of the image are out of focus, they have a lot of color fringing. In images with lots of bare limbs that is. I get a lot of focus hunting in those situations. 

Cheers,

Keith J. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines