• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stock image being used in composite and passed off as real by creator how to report

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

A story of a NZ photographer who is using stock photos as backgrounds for his pet photography just broke a few days ago. He is using photos from all sorts of stock sites (including Adobe stock) and then creates composites and passes them off as his own full creations (in violation of any stock photo sites). I just found one of his composites and the stock image used is hosted on Adobe Stock but I cant report it as I am not the one who has created it... how can I go about it? I cant even contact the original poster either....

The photo in question is https://stock.adobe.com/images/sunrise-at-moeraki-boulders-new-zealand/426676724?prev_url=detail and the person used this to create a composite with a dog and posted it in Gurushots and on his Instagram account as his own photo (even with a backstory)....

The story is here: https://petapixel.com/2021/09/22/pet-photographer-caught-passing-off-composites-as-real-photos/?fbcl... 

TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My personal layman's comment:

If that person correctly licensed the backgrounds, he or she can use them for compositions. That's one of the aim of Adobe stock. 

That he passes them for his own is probably morally incorrect but he does not need to credit.

Violating competition rules is a different story. 

Btw: the guy should brag about his Photoshop skills.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yeah, he finally did issue an apology on his Instagram account ... that's the thing, his skills in compositing are good enough to stand up for themselves so why feel the need to fabricate a story that he was actually at those locations and how much effort it took him to take the photos... he ultimately did get disqualified on at least one competition as well. He's been found out now so I am guessing people will keep an eye on is rather good composites from now on as what they are:-) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines