Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Technical issues

Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

_MG_9658_03.jpg

Anyone has an idea whats wrong and help to solve this?

Thx.

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Contributors , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share the original file. Editing and resaving may have changed some of the pixel-level detail that the evaluators were looking at. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here is full size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that I can see, is that the focus is on the hand and not the burger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats strange.

When I open image in 100% size, I can see sharp everything from skin on the fingers, bun with crispy edges after slicing, perfect sharp salad and also sharp sesame seeds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@beaver1234 I like it. I think it might need a touch more black/contrast but I don't think that's a rejection issue. I would  clean up the white pump bottle and the counter area in the corner in post and some other minor spot cleaning but otherwise I think it's fine.

JainLemos_0-1631550190715.png

JainLemos_1-1631550388246.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @beaver1234 ,

I'd have a problem with the depth of field.  Based on your framing, the bottle at the right is clearly an element of the frame, but it is out of focus. The left hand is out of focus. If those are not subjects of the frame then your burger should be filling up more of the negative space. In other words, not just that you'd have a poor composition, but also a cluttered one.

Best wishes

JG

Photographer and Nutrition Author

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photo of the burger is not arranged.
Market stall in normal operation, too much light, not enough light, harsh light, harsh shadow, customers around.
Depth of field is appropriate for the conditions of the location and the low noise requirements.
It's shot handheld, in the environment as it appears in the picture.
If I crop it more, I get rid of the possibility of adding text next to the burger, for example.
The customer can crop it themselves as they wish.
Or, at least that's what I thought until now.

But I've already deleted the whole market burger series.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @beaver1234 ,

So the burger is the subject. It is not in an eating environment, and you have no ideal background. What you do in this case is to get a good closeup that is properly focused. Usually with the right settings you'll get sharp closeup and a blur background. See an example at https://stock.adobe.com/images/ripe-and-unripe-cherries-on-branch/350438538 of an isolated twig with cherries against the background of a cluster of avocado and lime trees against the edge of a bit of concrete. It is highly unlikely that a customer would want to add text to a cluttered negative space. You just need enough space around it so that the customer will have ease cropping it from its background.

Look at it this way; a small element cropped and enlarged is likely to produce poor quality result. A large element cropped and reduced will still retain its quality. Hence larger isolated subject has more sales potential. 

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2021 Oct 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the fact that my email notification that a new post has been added here doesn't work, even though I have it turned on, I'd like to respond to this last... but it's not about arguing.
I just want to clarify some things.
In the attached montage of 2 pictures we can compare the background of what is being discussed.
The background by the cherry trees is made up of some wall and the trees behind that wall.
How far away are the wall and the trees? 10 meters? 20? Maybe more.
The background on the burger, the kitchen utensils or the environment, that's anywhere from 10 centimetres to a 1 metre.
How are you going to make the background as blurry naturally as the cherry trees?
I could knock down the aperture, but then you'll complain that the depth of field is too shallow.
You've given 2 things to compare that inherently can't be compared.
The street market has its own particular charm. That includes, for example, a certain amount of clutter around it.
But everything is very close to the main objects that are being photographed.
And you can't get a stallholder to move boxes of buns 20 metres behind the stall.

From everything that has been described here, I have the feeling, or the impression, that this is not a technical problem.
The real problem is that you just don't want such photos in principle, regardless of the technical design.
If you said that directly, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
I'll gladly delete all the "street market" photos from my portfolio.
I have a small portfolio with you, so I didn't sell much, and after the "free photography" event started, all sales dropped to practically zero.

2_images_compare.jpg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do not work for Adobe.  We are all photographers, videographers and digital content creators like you.

When I shop for photos on Stock, I look for clean, crisp subjects that I can mask out in Photoshop and use with other backgrounds.  The less distraction and background clutter, the better.  This makes my job easier and cuts down on project time & money. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you going to make the background as blurry naturally as the cherry trees?

===========

@beaver1234,

How good are you at post-processing?

Below a quick & dirty example in Photoshop -- layer mask of burger over a Gaussian blurred background with reduced opacity.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please note, this is not a photoshop editing procedure. It is done in camera based on camera settings. Please read my post carefully. One of the first lesson I learnt when I started uploading is to upload the photos as taken except for the necessary limited corrections, If you were to go through my portfolio you will notice I do not crop my files.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note, this is not a photoshop editing procedure.

=========

@jacquelingphoto2017,

I understand the points you're making but what if the photo cannot be re-shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nancy OShea ,

In this case your suggestion would not save this file since the left hand is out of focus. The best to possibly save this file is to crop a little wider than @J E L top crop; just to have enough space for cropping out the burger. The thing though, is that I don't know if that amount of cropping will cause an issue. The last time I tried cropping off an unwanted subject from a file, it was rejected.

In other cases where it is mainly a clutter issue, The HSL of Camera Raw Color Mix comes in handy to highlight the subject. That tool does selective adjustments but it's a skill that will take some practice.

Otherwise, regrettably discard the file. Move on and hope another opportunity comes around for a more thought-out and better shot. I'm afraid some subjects are not that forgiving. I've had many, For those you are able to repeat, it's never like the first.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with @Nancy OShea, A large portion of my sales are contributed to composites. Either skies or complete backgrounds are replaced. The idea is to give the consumer what he wants.  

Take a look:

Fotos, Bilder, Stockmedien von Ralph Lear | Adobe Stock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @beaver1234 ,

I agree with you. The closer you are to the background, the more it will show in a shot. However you are also forgetting that the more you zoom in on a subject is the more your background blurs. As it is you had low enough depth to produce a decent blur with a closer shot. 

The concrete was not a wall but a outdoor top step. The distance was not 10 or 20 meters but lest than 1 meter. If you are talking about a few centimetres then probably I should be using the example of a ginger flower attached to its plant as at https://stock.adobe.com/images/blooming-ginger-plant/303267884. Note that the leaves in the background are blurred leaving those to the side that fell within the line of focus. 

In terms of creating clutter-free photos and post processing to clear this and that other than subject of IP issues, I'm not good at that, so yes I produce many images with cluttered background. I basically zoom in as much as I can on the subject.

Another bit of reminder: we are not review moderators. We are fellow users that are just highlighting the best presentation for you to get more sales. Therefore what we say here are not necessarily the views of the reviewers.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My 5 cents: Composition and contrast. The picture does not make me want eating cheeseburgers, because of that dirty sign in front of the stainless-steel counter and that dirty plastic ketchup bottle and those boxes in the background. I could use the picture for an anti junk food article, but for that, the cheeseburger is too yummy.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines