• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

UK-based - what happens when someone buys an image from you on Adobe Stock?

Contributor ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe have emailed me, notifying me about this.

Here is the email:

We are pleased to inform you that one of your files has been sold.

Selling creative content licenses is an economic activity. Income derived from these sales may be subject to U.S. IRS (Internal Revenue Service) Withholding Tax.

It is important that our contributors comply with tax law. We invite you to visit the Tax Center and to review the information listed on that page.

Until you complete this procedure and the appropriate form is validated, your Adobe Stock income will be subject to automatic withholding at the appropriate tax rate. By submitting the applicable form, you may benefit from a reduced or zero withholding rate on your income.

We suggest you complete this procedure as soon as possible.

So, as a UK-based person, what, exactly, am I  to do?

I've never done independent work so I don't know where to start.

Also, Adobe seem to assume that I'm US-based, for some reason.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Adobe don't assume you are US based, but THEY ARE. By law they MUST charge a tax on EVERYTHING they pay to EVERYONE - unless suitable paperwork has been filed to prove you are not subject to US taxes. Whether or not they do this, you will also have to declare all your income on your self-assessment form, and pay UK taxes. It's easy to pay double taxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

You should look at Adobe Stock for this kind of information.

Here is a start:

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/Taxes-non-US-citizens.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will find this with most stock companies - it is a relatively simple form you fill out stating you are UK which allows Adobe (or whoever) to pay 100% of your sales to you.  You then declare that to Inland Revenue in the UK (I believe the first £1000 does not affect taxes but I may be wrong)
If you do not fill out the form then Adobe have to hold back what would be tax in the USA (similar to how an employer in the UK holds back PAYE) while you should still be declaring what is paid to the Inland Revenue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a similar question in that I am Swedish and there is 0 witholding tax. I have filled in the form for the IRS but where do I upload/send it? Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this to the stock contributor forum.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines