• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Would a photo of a vintage object showing maker label be rejected due to copyright?

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would photos of a vintage sewing machine that show the name 'Singer' be rejected due to copyright? Ditto pics of pages in the manual. Screenshot 2022-04-08 213013.png

TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

You need to Photoshop "Singer" out!. As for the rest, get the colour right and beware of different other technical issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Regardless of the year of copywrght, the name is a registered trademark and must be removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

You would need to remove 'Singer'. It won't pass otherwise!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to Photoshop "Singer" out!. As for the rest, get the colour right and beware of different other technical issues.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most copyright lasts only 100 years (that machine looks 55-65 years old), but trademarks last until they are no longer used. So that's a definite no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Singer is still in use, but also if not, I doubt that it would be accepted with a trademark on, even expired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless of the year of copywrght, the name is a registered trademark and must be removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to remove 'Singer'. It won't pass otherwise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I have a bunch of photos where the "copyrighted" object(a tractor) is in the distance and I have cloned the name out. They still fail to pass due to "intellectual copyrights". Are the reviewers just seeing the object and assuming something without really checking to see if a name is visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Are the reviewers just seeing the object and assuming something without really checking to see if a name is visible?"

They are seeing the object. You are missing a great deal of what they are looking for. A John Deere 6R 185 with the John Deere logo fuzzed out is still a John Deere tractor; the colour scheme is very distinctive. A real enthusiast could tell you it was a 6R 185. If this were accepted for stock, it could be used to advertise rival tractors - you have said so, by stating you have all IP rights. Then, John Deere could sue the rival tractor maker, the rival tractor maker could sue Adobe - and Adobe would hold you in breach of your contract and subject to unlimited damages.

If the artifact could be identified by its maker, and is less than maybe 100 years old, you can't use it. It's that simple. Tractor, house, chair, hammer; if it isn't generic, then you can't make money from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The colour of the tractor may also be a trademark on itself, e.g. the iconic John Deere tractors. Without seeing the image, however, I can't help more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My main problem with this photo is that it all hinges on name recognition.  Without the Singer tradename, it's unclear what this is exactly.  Taken out of context, the tension dial is meaningless except to someone like me who's familiar with old Singer sewing machines.  It's fair to say, few people would buy this for commercial use  purpose. 

My advice is to increase your distance from subject so you can get a sharp, clear image of the overall machine.  Shoot from different camera angles and ensure you have proper depth of field & focus.  If a customer wants to add blur fx after purchase, they can.  But it's very difficult to sharpen a blurry photo in post.

Just my 2 cents.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nevermind my previous post. 

I got snagged by a spammer.  🙄 🤖

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines