• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Artifacts in Digitally Created Image???

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm tired of it, really. I load couple of images, and the only difference between them is the background. The image is digitally created, and then I just add two-three different color backgrounds. The images are not photos, never been touch by hands, never been out of computer, and uploaded in the original size, not upscale or stretched. Now, one image is accepted, another is rejected because of "excessive post-processing" artifacts. But there was no any post-processing, and another image exactly like this one was accepted a second ago... Another case: two images are accepted, one more is not because "image is out of focus"! Again, I create all of my images in Photoshop and Illustrator, I do not scan it or photograph it; it goes from my computer directly to the site here... One more: I use watercolor brush in Photoshop and image is rejected because it is "too blurry". Again, two images from the series accepted, two rejected for too "blurry" reason.

Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

or compression rate, it is best to leave on maximum - large file, so in Photoshop that setting would be 12. This should then reduce jpeg artifacts and other potential problems.

So, to be clear, these were uploaded as illustrations, right, and you submitted them as JPEG files, right.

The only difference between these two is the background. Blue being accepted - as you stated and white background rejected due to 'artifacts', right?

So, it seems that with a white or grey background, this somehow made

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post an example(s) of your rejected images. It would then give a chance for others on here to be able to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HeartWreathPttrnBLUE.jpgHeartWreathPttrnWHT.jpg

Blue - accepted, White - rejected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice work by the way, Natasha ..!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

vectors created in Illustrator are always sharp and without artifacts, no matter in which magnification.

Drawings created/applied in Photoshop are no longer vectors and the same editing rules apply as for photos.

How can it be that your two pictures are so blurry? There must maybe either a processing error in your workflow and here you should make yourself technically clever. Based on a vector file or a file created in Photoshop, this cannot actually be.

Greets,

v.poth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but I did not understand what you mean. What "processing error in your workflow" you have in mind? And in what part of my process and how exactly I have to become more clever? Please, explain.

Also, I stated above that only one from these two images was not accepted: Blue was Okay, but White was not,and yet both of them are the same image.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

what I mean is that since both images are blurred and contain artifacts, something must have happened in the editing process that caused this. As Joanh already said, these image errors are obviously somewhat mitigated by a darker background, so that this was assumed.

If you don't use filters, it could be the compression rate with which you save your images as jpg. Excessive compression also causes artifacts and blurring. The more often you open and save a jpg these effects increase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your explanation, however, I already stated twice here that rejected were not the both images I was showing here, but only one. Therefore, only one image contains "artifacts", and that is the one with white background, not the darker blue. The blue one was accepted no problem.

Also, would you please let me know what compression rate would be safer? I save my jpg once and then I just send it to the site here; I don't open and close it multiple times, I don't have a reason for it.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or compression rate, it is best to leave on maximum - large file, so in Photoshop that setting would be 12. This should then reduce jpeg artifacts and other potential problems.

So, to be clear, these were uploaded as illustrations, right, and you submitted them as JPEG files, right.

The only difference between these two is the background. Blue being accepted - as you stated and white background rejected due to 'artifacts', right?

So, it seems that with a white or grey background, this somehow made a difference in reviewing. Which of course does not make a lot of sense. Perhaps, with the white background it created an optical illusion - giving an appearance of being blurred, or having artifacts. Whereas with the blue background, this didn't occur.

So, maybe, submit again. Start with a new file, and save as a large file (maximum) and see what happens. Although, I guess you do this anyway!

Personally, I can't see any difference between the two files - apart from one white background and one blue.

HeartWreathPttrnBLUE.jpgHeartWreathPttrnWHT.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking time and answer me with such details. I really appreciate it.

I do save my work at 12. What to your saying that the white one may "appear" like it is blurred or having noise: I can see the logic, because I work in digital watercolor and the image is naturally semi-transparent. So there are some places in the image that are closer to white color, and may look like blurred. However, then I completely don't understand why the grey one that is at the same tone as blue isn't accepted as well. Not to mention that I would expect inspectors here to know and understand such things as digital watercolor and all the specific details of such technique.

I really start to feel discriminated for the unknown weird reason.

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lovely work, did you perhaps use a filter on either one? How did you place the blue in the background? I noticed that my drawing was rejected until I placed in a blue background because it enhanced the white and gave it a stronger outline. Try to remember any step or process you performed in each. Regards, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, however, it is not lovely enough.

I always place backgrounds the same way: as an under-layer. I work on image and when it is ready just add a layer under it and paint it with a Paint Bucket Tool. So it is THE SAME image, and I never use filters.

Accepted were two images: one Blue that you see here, and one more on Tan background: and two images were rejected: one with White background, and another with Grey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take notes as you process your work. Then when the same drawing is accepted with two colored backgrounds, use these two colors. We learn what is selling and stock preferences this way. White reflects and distorts touching colors gray is more neutral but the other two you used can enhance your work. Keep up the fine work. Best, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, basically, you saying there is no way to get sense from inspector's decision? That is sad. It means they can do whatever.

I understand the strategy you describing here; but it means to throw away more then half of my work. Work that is normally popular and accepted on other sites. I sell white on other sites while grey is considered to be more contemporary design, and that's why I present it here too: wishing "to spread my wings" if you may.

I am really thankful for your answers and complements, and hope no matter what you'll be able to see more from me soon.

Best wishes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, we all have this learning and rejection experience - we grow. : - ) JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines