• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exposure problems... I realy don´t understand the problems...

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason for rejection indicates that it may be due to an incorrect exposure (overexposed or underexposed) ,the subject of the photo is the spider, is overexposed?

Tell me the same reason for rejection in the flower (the bugainvillea real flower is the white one), is overexposed or underexposed? or is the rest of the photo?

bouganvilia.JPG

crabspider.JPG

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Hi,

I think as experienced providers we have analyzed all aspects concerning the reasons for rejection correctly and here you can learn something for yourself concerning the microstock industry and photography in general. If you can't find an answer here then you have to acquire a lot of knowledge here.

If you mean that you photograph things somehow and they look the way they just looked to you through the viewfinder at that moment and find that natural, is your view certainly not based with photo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are good examples to send to this forum. Let's see what comes of this one.

My eyes tell me that there is a color mix between the purple background and the fuzzy edges of the flower. While this might not be exposed incorrectly, it is some bleeding of color that is a problem. In Photoshop I would lessen the background color which is overpowering the flower. One can fade the background using curves and several other tools.

Hopefully, you own these programs.

The spider probably needs less exposure to sharpen the lines of the spider and have it stand out from the backgrounds.

So, in Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop you can test various exposures and lighting to help color and saturation. Camera Raw is a good one to look at also.

I have a problem with the foreground leaf which is out of focus and in the way of the true subject. I might select and cut out the foreground leaf and select and copy the sharp pieces of the leaf and paste into the photo.  Layers must then be. To get a sharp leaf in the foreground I would select - copy - paste the leaf on the upper right side. Using free-transform I would then turn that piece upside down so it fits the lower leaf in this mage and then stop there  - unless you need to do a bit of patchwork using the healing tool.

I hope you try this - it is very useful and can save a very good photograph from the trash. Best to you. JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your time...I will try to take care of those details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to pay attention to your histogram. The histogram shows both pictures are slightly underexposed, (you have a lot of dark areas) but you also need to determine what is important in your picture to determine the correct exposure. If you don't know much about this, then research on this. There is a ton of information about how to use histograms on the internet.

You could try and use curves in Photoshop, or similar editing programme. Both pictures look a bit 'flat'.

Subtle changes on the leaf, the spider and background need to be made. By using curves, you can also alter the contrast. The spider needs to stand out a bit more. I also think that the leaf in the foreground is distracting, but that is another issue. In this case, you need to think about composition.

Regarding the flower shot - I also think the background is overpowering the flower. So, again curves would be good here. You also need to be careful of the white areas on the petals.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your comments, I will pay more attention to that in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

if I understand well, there was the question about the exposure problem. But solution does not match exposure.

Spider looks OK to me. No clue where is that exposure problem.

The main subject is the spider on the leaf. I would crop the image a bit from the top where is that dark area. Dark area of background well separate main subject of the image. The front blurry leaf is also OK for me. At least it gives deeper (bigger) depth to the image.

Maybe I would give more colors, just a little bit (selective colors in PS).

But it is just my opinion...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your words are on the record and the photographer may try any of these to see what works with Adobe stock. What looks okay to you might not be what looks good to Adobe reviewer. Check out Adobe guidelines for contributors. JH

For  you to be able to achieve better image results and get offerings accepted into Adobe Stock go to   https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/user-guide.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

the image with the spider has, as the histogram in camera raw shows, large areas in the dark areas without any drawing and is therefore to be evaluated as underexposed.

For the picture with the flower the histogram shows that there is a white point in the picture, in the middle areas the exposure falls off, a real black point is not present. Here the overall exposure is too flat and the contrasts are therefore missing. I think herefore it is not well/correctly exposed and was therefore rejected by the selector.

I think there will be another problem with the sharpness in this picture, because in my opinion this is too small with the main object.

Greets,

v.poth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comments, all are helpful.  At the end, I understand that the pictures, in most cases, are appreciated about the technical aspects... and of course not everyone has the same point of view.  Some times artistic aspects can't be measured only with the technical aspects and some times for me is more important to show something that looks just like it is in the real world.  Most of the time I don't like to modify the scenarios where I capture the subjects, but it's OK, like I said, every person will judge from their own perspective or in this case, by the rules of the site.

Thanks to all for your comments, I appreciate all of them and I think there is no correct answer... and at the end, every one is giving their opinion on what is their best guest about the reasons of the rejections... so again, thanks to every one to share some of your knowledge in these cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think as experienced providers we have analyzed all aspects concerning the reasons for rejection correctly and here you can learn something for yourself concerning the microstock industry and photography in general. If you can't find an answer here then you have to acquire a lot of knowledge here.

If you mean that you photograph things somehow and they look the way they just looked to you through the viewfinder at that moment and find that natural, is your view certainly not based with photographic knowledge and skill.

I think it's pretty presumptuous to associate your beginner-level photography with any artistic aspects. And this is certainly not a question of the viewer's taste, it can be objectively assessed.

I don't think you can take big steps forward with this attitude in photography in general and certainly not in the field of stock photography either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You get me totally wrong...but OK, if you are looking for yout points for a "correct" answer...there, you can have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I don't need any points, they don't give me any advantage in any way. I am a provider of Abobe Stock myself and share the knowledge I have acquired over the years in my spare time in the forums. The other posters do the same.

You can take the advice and analysis here or not, that's up to you. But I think a reason why you consider your question not answered would at least be interesting to know for all who try to help here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is the same with me. I am fortunate to be allowed to participate in this forum. I learn a great deal. Thanks, V.Poth and rickey336 !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this is the end of this particular discussion. All interested had their opinions posted. Best regards all. JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines