• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grain and Noise issues

Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still new here and have only submitted about 30 photos for review so far and have as yet not had any rejected for noise. I am not sure if the standards have changed or I have gotten lucky so far. I have had images rejected for artefacts some of which have been somewhat confusing but I have managed to reduce the processing on them a bit and most have then been accepted.

I want to make some comments in response to some already made here.

I do have a theory that I think is likely that Adobe Stok is using not just the machine learning to identify objects in the photo but others that either do rate the quality or based on their included image data. I then think the human reviewer probably is influenced by what the analysis thinks. It does seem based on my very limited experience that the review process here seems to be a lot more restrictive and rejects a lot of images other platforms accept happily.

As for the discussion on noise in general I am on the side that believes there is always going to be some noise whatever you do but it is your aim to always reduce its visibility as much as possible by using good techniques. I personally have no real issues seeing noise in images and have no idea why you need to be pixel peeping all your images to decide if an image is perfect or not. Anyone that can't accept some noise has unrealistic expectations especially if the circumstances the photos were taken in were beyond your control. Also has everyone forgotten how much grain you would get with film? In general the majority of modern digital cameras produce significantly cleaner images than film especially when comparing ISO and the equivalent ASA.

Another point that needs to be made clear is sensor size on its own does not mean anything much in terms of how much noise your will have in your image. It is all about the size of the photosite with large ones likely to produce less noise when using the same level of sensor technology. This means sensors with higher relative resolutions are going to capture more noise. That said when you scale an image from a higher resolution sensor to a that of a lower one you may actually achieve less overall noise as much of it gets lost in the scaling.

Another point is in most situations that I would think our images are going to be used for some noise is not going to be an issue at all. For example I would imagine than the majority of customers for Adobe Stok sourced images are likely to only be using them on the web and so are going to be low resolution and so any noise is going to be lost in downscaling it anyway. Sure there will be exceptions but I don't see why Adobe should actively reject images based on some noise when I would think it was best to let the customer decide where their line is on noise. If it is too noisy they just won't buy it.

It is as I am sure we all know possible to apply noise reduction too. This does lead to other issues of how much is acceptable before an image is flagged as having artifacts problems. I would think if a customer had a choice between a slighly noisy image and one that has had noise reduction applied they would chose the noisier version as they can always reduce the noise later but they can't put back the detail lost.

To be clear here I am not saying that all images should be let past but I am sure there is room for a lot more images to have a chance of being sold.

Branched to a new discussion by moderator

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Adobe has been in the stock business for a very long time. They are also a large international company with many stock buyers all over the world. Adobe also has a sales and marketing departments and these departments will track what kind of stock sells and which stock set and wait for a buyer. The Adobe customer decides the kind and quality of the things Adobe accepts and offers for purchase. So, stock with noise, grain and artifacts are difficult to sell - why offer them when there is demand fo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has been in the stock business for a very long time. They are also a large international company with many stock buyers all over the world. Adobe also has a sales and marketing departments and these departments will track what kind of stock sells and which stock set and wait for a buyer. The Adobe customer decides the kind and quality of the things Adobe accepts and offers for purchase. So, stock with noise, grain and artifacts are difficult to sell - why offer them when there is demand for the best quality without these problems? JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post is quite compelling. However this subject involves 3 parties. I notice your argument is in support of contributors; and this is understandable being one. However our contribution is useless without the other 2 parties. Number one in business is to satisfy your customers. Once you ignore customer’s demand, they move to other places to get what they want. No business no one benefits. Marketers understand that. They are the ones that interact with customers. Over time they know exactly what customers what. They are able to say what is dead stock. Therefore to avoid substandard photos, contributors are helped to progressively improve. It is up to contributors to learn how to stay on top of their game.

Let us assume Adobe uses “machine” for reviews. Why not completing each or a batch of submissions within a day? Why 3 to 5 days? Why is it that when processing starts with a contributor depending on the number of photos period of several days is required? If software except photo viewers or editors is used for reviewing, why not programming such machines to complete the process and send auto-responders instead of human involvement. The machine would be programmed to look for specifics to a certain degree and would do so precisely, hence no need for human input. 

Here’s another way to look at the subject. The standard is set by adobe who owns many editing software of which they know their capability. Individuals are trained to look for what is required. After many years of experience it gets easier to identify flaws in photos. The trained eyes see more details than the untrained eyes. The more practice you get the easier it becomes to identify errors. I said all the above to say this; it is human that does the reviewing. Adobe provides the instruction and the tools for us to review our own photos and make adjustments.  It turns out Adobe is not the most strict, but might be the only one that gives you the opportunity to know what to correct. I don’t think perfectly noise-free photos are expected, however excessive noise is where emphasis might be based. Adobe stets the to determine at what point noise is excessive.

Adobe has been around for almost 4 decades. That is enough time to developing a network of clients that they’re familiar with. They are aware of what will sell, and what will not. There’s also the competition factor. Many people are in photo stock business. Astute marketer will identify something that gives the cutting edge over all others.

In all business quality is important. Each company fights to produce higher quality goods. As the quality standard of each new competition rises, customer’s expectation rises also. What was accepted 5 years ago becomes unacceptable today. And what is accepted today will become unacceptable 5 years from now. The reason newer digital cameras produces better photos lies with the progressive change of what is acceptable. The same holds true with the photo industry.

This is my observation. Some new contributors do not know post processing is required, or allowed. Many of the editing software used has very limited correcting uption that leaves excessive noise after application. Others use auto setting on their cameras, hence using high ISO many times. As for those who set a low ISO, but utilizes the camera’s features, there are applications that ignores the manual setting and uses high ISO where applicable based on how the camera was programmed. Editing software is there to correct camera errors. Therefore once you know your camera and use it accordingly, editing software will do the rest.

Adobe customers for the most part might be repeated customers. They become familiar with high quality photos; that’s what they will buy. Substandard photos most likely will not sell. Better quality photos move to the top of the search; substandard photos might never be seen.

There is the factor of convenience. Let’s say you need to hire someone to build a website. You have the choice between someone who download a set of noisy photo, and spend time to correct noise; a service that will be added to your bill, and another that download clean photos, with lower charge to you, who would you heir? Who would get most business?

“I would imagine than the majority of customers for Adobe Stock sourced images are likely to only be using them on the web and so are going to be low resolution and so any noise is going to be lost in downscaling it anyway.” Do you really believe this? If you do, make it a habit to look at the news slide when you open your browser, especially “edge”. Look at the quality photos, then rethink the forgoing statement. People buy what they see, what is not seen is unknown, hence will not make a difference. If I edit a horse, once it’s not looking unnatural, the customer knows nothing about what was lost, hence have no care.

As I said earlier, the information and many training tools are provided by adobe. It requires finding and utilizing. As you progress through these information, you’ll come to understand the standards more clearly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some new contributors do not know post processing is required, or allowed.

Perhaps you've hit the nail on the head. My understanding was that stock sites prefer unedited photos because the unedited originals give the purchasing client the most latitude to edit as needed before using the image in their own final product. If editing is allowed here and indeed preferred, it needs to be made much more clear. Stock sites I've contributed to so far state a preference for no editing or very minimal editing of the image. If Adobe Stock only wants "finished" images, I'd like that to be a very obvious stated requirement rather than something discovered after a pile of generic rejections and reading a long meandering thread on the help forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Have said this before - Adobe is our customer taking our stock and offering them to their customers. Sure we buy Adobe products but Adobe stock accepts our stock from us and displays it as a gallery might present our art. The customer is right?? Interesting conversation. Good minds are enjoyable. Thank you all. Best Regards, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my understanding and experience so far I think Adobe still wants neutral, natural-looking images still. That doesn't mean that you can't apply some noise reduction etc just you need to be kept to a minimum. It would seem if you go too far then the image will be rejected due to artefacts problems. I would also keep all other edits to a minimum too as too much contrast or sharpening for example will also see photos rejected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Minimal post processing is allowed, and the information is all there. Follow the links that come with each of your rejections, and follow the links/topics of those pages and you'll find a wealth of information. Do's and don'ts for selecting and editing photos for Adobe Stock are tips you will find useful. Create better photos for Adobe Stock with 7 tips for success | will also help. Read the entire Adobe Stock Contributor Guide.  tagproducts_SG_STOCK-CONTRIBUTOR_i18nKeyHelppagetitle was copied from one of my rejections. Open it and click on Adobe Stock Contributor Guide. It will take you to a PDF file. Read it through and follow the links to other tutorials that you'll also find helpful.

Best wishes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines