• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with 45-BM file size limit for Vectors

Guide ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I designed and illustrated a font that resembles a "Retro Sunset" look. (see jpeg)

RetroSunsetFont.jpg

Unfortunately, after following all the instructions for generating the jpeg, and ZIPPING the original AI file along with the jpeg, the file cannot be uploaded because it is around 110-MB in size, which is a lot larger than the 45-MB upload limit. Believe me, the original AI file is put together VERY efficiently -- in fact, I've created far more complex vector files that were successfully uploaded and accepted for sale, but were in GRAYSCALE, rather than RGB. I wonder if the simple fact that this file is COLOR has disqualified it for upload to AdobeStock. -- ?

So I spent another few hours reformatting the single file into THREE partial files, hoping that this would make the zipped file smaller.

But as it turns out, EACH of the three subsequent files is over 100-MB (when zipped with the corresponding jpeg)!

I wonder how anyone contributes anything even partially complex in vector format without running into this 45-MB limit.

It seems that the 45-MB upload limit (FOR VECTORS) needs to be at least TRIPLED. Back in 1992, 45-MB was considered HUGE ... but not so today. 100-MB is around AVERAGE for many vector files produced here.

I suspect we need to admit that VECTOR is NOT like raster imagery (photos), which will all be around the same file size, at the required image size, in RGB.

Ideas?

Can we triple the upload file size limit for VECTORS? ... please? ...

TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Contributor-Relations suggested I reduce the file in physical size, retaining the large artboard. I didn't think this would work because of the nature of vector, but I was wrong!  By reducing the physical size of the illustration to 38% of the original size, I got the zip file to under 45-MB. Amazing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you make the gradients ..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The illustration is composed entirely of interlocking paths filled with gradients (gradient tool, not blend tool).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contributor-Relations suggested I reduce the file in physical size, retaining the large artboard. I didn't think this would work because of the nature of vector, but I was wrong!  By reducing the physical size of the illustration to 38% of the original size, I got the zip file to under 45-MB. Amazing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information on your resolution. You can also upload the AI file directly to Adobe Stock without a jpg preview. That would likely reduce the workflow time for you.

Kind regards,

Mat Hayward

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the suggestion.

... But the killer file size issue was in very small part because of the addition of the jpeg, which was small compared to the vector illustration. The real issue, as it turned out was the physical size of the vector image itself. Once I reduced it in size (around 40% of the artboard dimension), everything worked fine. -- Learn something new everyday!  :+)

As we have discovered, the problem with allowing the old Fotolio jpeg-generator to create the jpeg for vectors is that it makes super-DARK jpegs, which can radically misrepresent the original art. From now on, I will always choose (1) a horizontal format whenever possible (far more readable jpeg), (2) use an approved large artboard (70" x 45" or area-equivalent), but (3) reduce the vector file to as low as 35-40% of the artboard size, to get the upload down to less than 45-MB, (4) include a jpeg created here which accurately represents the art, and (5) organize the file with easy-to-use content-specific layers, and (6) zip both files for upload.

This has been quite the learning process!  :+)  (Only 4 approved images so far.)  But I feel I'm making good progress adapting a normal workflow to AdobeStock requirements for vector files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines