• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

jpg vs jpeg

People's Champ ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Stock automatically convert .jpg files to .jpeg files when uploading.   I've noticed that I cannot find a .jpg extension anywhere on Stock, they're all .jpeg.

This is causing massive time wasting when I reprocess images because Photoshop automatically defaults to .jpg, which means I either have to explicitly define the extension .jpeg or else the original file does not get overwritten and I have to manually delete it.

Please don't tell me that stock defaults to .jpeg while PS defaults to .jpg

I mean it's fun hating Adobe but I'm getting tired of it.

I want a reason to love them,

~Gutterfish
TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

I think I understand what you are saying. Sorry for the misunderstanding, this is the contributor forum so I'm able to answer most questions about uploading. I've never been asked this question before. Based on what you have stated and what I know of our system, I think it's safe to say that only while .jpg and .jpeg can be uploaded by contributors, only one extension is on the export to customers. I'll ask around and if I learn anything useful on the subject I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To my knowledge, there is no difference between a .jpg file and a .jpeg file other than the name. You should be fine uploading either. If there is an issue besides that I'm not following from your post, please clarify in specific details what the issue is.

Thanks,

Mat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mat,

Thanks for your response & yes, you are misunderstanding at least the purpose of my question.

The explicit naming convention is my issue & it's more what I download than what I upload.

Here's the thing:

There are no .jpgs on Stock, only .jpegs   I can;t find one & have never seen one.  Through my employer I have access to a library of thousands of images on their local server and they are ALL .jpeg

I find this statistically odd.  I would think alot of people upload .jpg extensions. So it made me wonder if, during the upload stock is automatically converting the extension .jpg to .jpeg

The reason I noticed this in the first place is because of saving issues I'm having Photoshop.

Unless explicitly instructed, meaning unless I manually type the extension .jpeg into the file name when saving, Photoshop outputs .jpg NOT .jpeg This winds up costing me alot of time even if I don't explicitly include the extension.

For example:  If I take 20 .jpegs from stock and bulk process them in Photoshop choosing the .jpg/.jpeg extension,

PS outputs them as .jpg not .jpeg

This means the originals do not get overwritten. Now have 40 images on my drive rather than 20 i need.

I need to delete 20 (sometimes large) files.

Over time these seconds add up and make wonder....Why?

Why are there are no .jpg extensions in Stock?   And why can't photoshop remember the precise extension of the files it's processing?

Why does default to a name convention other than the one it started with?

If Adobes apps all default to .jpg....why does Stock seem to default to .jpeg?

They are interchangeable, yes.  But as far as Windows filing system are concerned, they are two different files.

I keep repeating myself because I'm hoping you understand what I'm asking.

I'm not asking if I can upload either extension to Stock.

Thanks for your time,

Paul

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I understand what you are saying. Sorry for the misunderstanding, this is the contributor forum so I'm able to answer most questions about uploading. I've never been asked this question before. Based on what you have stated and what I know of our system, I think it's safe to say that only while .jpg and .jpeg can be uploaded by contributors, only one extension is on the export to customers. I'll ask around and if I learn anything useful on the subject I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks for the feedback.

-Mat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Mat,

It could just be my inexperience but it mad eme curious.

~Paul

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines