Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Let's talk noise for a few moments. "Noise Reduction"

Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello comunity,

I've been contributing photos for a little more than one year with a portfolio in Adobe of approx 1,500 photos. My biggest obsticale, regardless of the agency (Adobe, Shutterstock, Dreamstime, etc.) is noice reduction. Especially with Shutterstock. When I view photos here in this forum I notice that most of you are also getting rejections which I assume are often due to noise.

I almost never have a tripod with me on a photo walk so my camera is alway hand held, the shutter speed is at least 180th second and the ISO is set to AUTO. This can result in an ISO of 6,000 or more. Often over 8,000!

Post processing noise reduction is a must. Unfortunately, I have not figured out the optimal acceptance level. I usually perform the following LightRoom steps:

• pull down the global highlights to -100
  • push up the global shadows to +100
  • add about +30 global texture
  • add about +10 global clarity
  • set my sharpening mask
  • add sharpening, radius and detail until clear lines are seen at 100% or 200%
  • add luminance reduction so that the noise is removed or posterization begins
  • add local noise reduction, clarity and texture to areas that need it

Here is an example. The original has an ISO of 6,400.

I followed the above steps. Is that too much or not enough noise reduction?

How do you handle the noise in your photos?

noise.jpg 

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Contributors , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @RALPH_L ,

Each camera handles ISO noise issues differently. Some will manage much noise some won't. 

Check your camera to find out if it has features to reduce noise with high ISO.

Set your camera to handle handshake

Utilize Flash Compensation, and Exposure Compensation.

Learn to take photos with manual settings so that you can reduce aperture, settings to reduce the need for very high ISO.

Except for very late evenings, or night, I do not exceed 2500 ISO. On very late evenings I rather use a tripod than to bump-up ISO.

It means you will always need to have adequate lighting. In the day there is no need for 6000 ISO except your aperture is set to very high figure - again the settings of that would depend on the depth of field required to capture your image.

The post-process applications have their limitation for cleaning noise. No level of noise is tolerated on stock photos. At the same time aggressive noise cleaning can damage pixels. 

I suggest you invest in some literature for photography. There are some on my signature page and at https://incomepayout.blogspot.com/p/kindle-ebooks-on-amazon.html

or you may search for lits that answers your questions. LinkedIn Learn has some good courses you may explore.

Best wishes

JG

https://incomepayout.blogspot.com/p/income-requirements-and-payout.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines