• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for critiques

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm new to submitting photos and to this forum. I recently submitted 12 photos of which 3 were accepted. Most of the ones that were rejected said it was because of unspecified technical issues. I'd love to have someone explain to me what is wrong with them so I can learn what exactly they are looking for. Frankly, two of the ones that were accepted seemed to me of lesser quality than the rejects so clearly I need to learn more about this. Thank you in advance for your help.

moses1.jpgBombay Hook Silhouette.jpgIMG_2419.JPGRed-bellied Woodpecker 4 (2).JPGRed-bellied Woodpecker 2 (2).JPGWhite-tailed Deer.JPG

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Littik,

The composition of your work seem to be well thought out. However there are a number of issues with all.

Noise/Grain: All images uploaded display excessive noise. This is visible as small dots (color and/or gray) when image is zoomed to between 100 and 200%. 

Technical Issue:

The first image, the cat, give the impression of being altered with the use of post process filters. It that was the case, it would not be acceptable. In addition, there is the matter of purple and green color fringing around the edges.

The next image, the tree, the subjects display not details. It is just a black blab against aqua sky with is in fact not natural. Your photos need to remain as close to being natural as possible. Also there must be visible details of the subjects.

The cathedral wall towards the top right displays multicoloured when examined at between 100 and 200% zoom. The colors of your image must be smooth.

Both birds displays blue color fringing at the edges and is especially visible on the metal the the bird lands on.

The deer also display purple color fringes at the edges of its head.

Out of focus:

In addition, around the edges of the deer is not sharp. It is out of focus. When zoomed to 100%, the edges of your images should still be sharp.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your comments. They are extremely helpful. If you don't mind another question, what causes the color fringing on the bird photos? (It was deliberate on the cat )

Lilli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilli,

You are most welcome.

Based on my observation one of the cause is as a result of poor camera settings. Another might have to do with JPG camera processing (if your photos are taken in JPG format). Also it would appear there are times its difficult to avoid even as much as noise cannot be avoided, but minimizes with adequate lighting/exposure.

I observe that for shots that are under exposed in the forefront while there is strong back-lighting (for example the shade side of a subject with lighted sky background) is likely to end up with color fringing.

Minimum color fringing can be corrected in Cameraraw using the color noise reduction tool and the lens correction tool. However for more advanced issue Photoshop noise filter plugin does a fairly decent job.

Best wishes 

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again. Clearly I have a lot to learn. 🙂

Lilli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines