• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need critique on image

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image rejected due to aesthetic or commercial appeal. Why though?

Image scaled down for post.

Traverse-City-Asylum-7.jpg

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

In my opinion it's an unappealing image. It appears a bit crooked. My eye was immediately drawn to the ceiling closest to the camera. The tilt is very distracting. The contrast appears to be muddy and there seems to be quite a bit of noise. The cable running along the floor is an ugly distraction also. I don't see much potential here for sales unfortunately. The space could be cool but I would put a model in it and get more creative with light and angles.

Better luck next time,

Mat

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would a buyer use it for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps its the graffiti? Maybe try cloning it out? Just guessing though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am feeling clueless rather your query raised many other questions in mine kind.

Commercial appeal --clueless

Aesthetic --  what I feel this wire on floor is scattering from beauty of ruined looking building

It is a man made construction building sooooo property release

May be a change in title can influence the decision of rejection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion it's an unappealing image. It appears a bit crooked. My eye was immediately drawn to the ceiling closest to the camera. The tilt is very distracting. The contrast appears to be muddy and there seems to be quite a bit of noise. The cable running along the floor is an ugly distraction also. I don't see much potential here for sales unfortunately. The space could be cool but I would put a model in it and get more creative with light and angles.

Better luck next time,

Mat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would have to respectfully disagree, Although there may not be a specific subject involved, and the primary focus is the abandon type hallway of a building, I do in fact think it has commercial appeal.

And I am stating that as a buyer of stock photography. I sometimes am required to buy digital images for all types of purposes, and in fact, have to look on multiple stock website because sometime I just can't find exactly what I am looking for, sometimes the images on stock sites can be too staged, or try to match something too specific. I work in the Art Departement in the film industry and I have to general a lot of fake props like newspapers, magazines, brochures, family photos, etc, etc. In a lot of cases, I have to take my own photos to try and recreate sometime because the ones I find on stock sites are just too staged.

I had this exact same conversation with an Adobe Stock representative at Adobe Max 2017 in Las Vegas. She asked me what type of images I normally look for, and my reply was that sometimes I am not always looking for an image that is super commercial looking, or aesthetically pleasing to the eye, or has a specific subject in mind. A lot of times I find myself looking for real-life pictures that say a tourist would take, or a selfie of a regular person, not a hired model. I'm sure there is a fine balance that the reviewers have to take into consideration, and I am sure they have to abide by some strict rules for aesthetics.

However, I do find myself having to leave the Adobe platform half of the time trying to look for what I need. Which I feel Adobe is trying to avoid. I would prefer to just find the image within Photoshop, but that is not always so easy to do. I understand that I may not be their typical customer and that a large majority of there market is probably from the ad agency world. But if the goal is to keep the customers in the Adobe ecosystem, they should also cater to customers like me.

Sorry for the rant, I just feel like I have had some similar situations where I would submit an image that got denied for an aesthetic reason, only to search the Adobe site to see plenty of other similar photos with the same aesthetic or worse as the one, I just submitted that got rejected. Maybe it's the luck of the draw and who the person reviewing a particular photo has some objection. I guess the saying is true, art is subjective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines