Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

property release for porcelain and ceramics

Contributor ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

I am buying a new exclusive set of tableware for my food photography from an artist - ceramist. I guess I need a release. And the artist is ready to sign.

Looking at the release form you've published (https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/stock/property/Releases-en.pdf ) for contributor use, I encountered some problems with how to fill it.

1) I am buying the tableware, but I still need to fill in the ceramist as the owner? As it is a kind of craftsmanship / intellectual type of property. Right? /Property owner data/

2) Can I fill in  "Description & Location" as Food Photo & Anywhere, and "Date of Recording Session(s)" Not limited? /Recording Session data/

Thank you.

TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

If I am understanding your question correctly, you have purchased custom ceramic tableware and would like to complete a property release for it.

Buying an object such as this or any other form of art does not make you the "owner" of the intellectual property. Much the same as if you bought a Harley Davidson motorcyle. While you are the owner of the bike, Harley still owns the IP.

For common dinner ware that is generic you wouldn't likely need a release. This case however sounds like custom artwor

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MatHayward​ please correct me if I'm wrong, in this case except there's trademark or logo on the ceramic tableware that is visible in the food photography, no release is necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2019 Feb 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree with you, if the tableware is not the main focus, it probably does not a release, except if it is really a very specific design.

The ceramist is not the owner of the table set anymore, when you have bought it, but he is still the owner of the exclusive design. So what you need to license is not the tableset as a tableset, but the design of the set. As the table set is owned by you, and if needed, you can property release the table set.

As said above, I doubt that you need to go in such details.

What would, however be a no go, is a logo (or kind of) or a signature (or kind of) on the set.

Personally, as a buyer, I would prefer the food to be layed out on a standard neutral set.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 24, 2019 Feb 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice guys.

No logo, no signs agreed on the set. But I think I'll ask for a design release, just in case. I am not a ceramist but I've never seen similar thing before. 

As to the neutral set, yeah, you are right. And I agree with you. But I've done so many whites, that I just wanna do something a little bit different for a change. But don't worry I won't offend anybody's taste with cutlets on parrots and spaghetties on palms. The set is neutral too.

So what do you recon on the second part of my question (regarding the design resliese)?

2) Can I fill in  "Description & Location" as Food Photo & Anywhere, and "Date of Recording Session(s)" Not limited? /Recording Session data/

Or should I better put my country in "Location" and show some real dates, let's say from 03/03/2019 till 03/03/2025 for  instance?/Recording Session data/

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think in this case it is best a staff member answer this question, because I'm not sure who's address it would be for the property address, if it would be yours or the design owner. MatHayward would be in a better position to provide you with the answers you ask.

Regards

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've sent him my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, but MatHayward would have responded to the thread. Whenever persons are hyperlinked in a thread or post, they receive notification of which they are able to access the link to the entire post. Questions of which the responses are not personal/private, it is preferred that the answers are given on the thread for the benefit of others who have the same question. Therefore, if you do receive the answer privately, it would be nice of you to post it her.

Regards

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, I'll publish here the info, if I receive any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I am understanding your question correctly, you have purchased custom ceramic tableware and would like to complete a property release for it.

Buying an object such as this or any other form of art does not make you the "owner" of the intellectual property. Much the same as if you bought a Harley Davidson motorcyle. While you are the owner of the bike, Harley still owns the IP.

For common dinner ware that is generic you wouldn't likely need a release. This case however sounds like custom artwork. Submit a property release listing you as the photographer/contributor and have the artist sign as the property owner. A witness is also required.

For the sake of discussion, if you created the ceramics yourself and wanted to submit images of it, you would need to sign the release as both the contributing photographer AND the property owner. A witness would still be required.

More details on our property release requirements can be read here: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/property-release.html

Property release and protection guidelines for Adobe Stock

Kind regards,

Mat Hayward

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advise Matt. Now the matter is much clear to me.

However, I have one more problem regarding the release. I counted the average number of photo sessions per year... And it looks like I need about 100 releases yearly. Yeah... and the ceramist lives in about 400 km from my city.

In short I want to have one release for one art item (ceramic set) for the whole period of its potential usage for food photography. The ceramist knows the purpose of the set and has no objections.

Can I fill "Date of Recording Session(s)"  as "Not limited"?

Or should I better put some real dates with including some future interval, let's say from 20/03/2019 till 20/03/2025, for  instance, in "Recording Session data".

I've seen in the link you've sent to me that you have an electronic form, yet 100 times per year! (the ceramist will curst me), besides, let's be realistic, - you are not the only agency I am working with.

Should be the solution

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to add a different release for each shoot.

-Mat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's my first release(s), so I am sorry if my questions are too meticulous or stupid. But the matter is still unclear to me.

Do I need a release for each photo session? (And I really mean 100 photo sessions per year with different subject each, though with the use of the ceramics. it will make from 300 to max 500 shots per year)

Or is it possible  to fill "Date of Recording Session(s)" as "Not limited"? Or should I rather put some real dates with including some future interval, let's say from 20/03/2019 till 20/03/2025, for  instance, in "Recording Session data"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi GMMaria

One release per person is sufficient even if you have several shoots of the same person.

One release of the same property once the property can be identify as the same.

If you however use 100 different persons as model, you will need 100 different releases, one release each for each person/model.

The release is permission given for their images to be use for the purpose of stock photos.

After uploading the release, when next you wish to access it, after completing the captioning, and keywording, you click on yes, then click on search for an existing release, scroll to the relevant release click on it and proceed with submission.

I hope you found this helpful

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines