Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rejected because of unsharpness?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody,

I just received a rejection of the image below, because of unsharpness.

20171026-IMG_3316p.jpg

It somewhat seems that the spreading water was detected as unsharp and thus caused the rejection?

What do you think?

Thanks for your support,

Miguel

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Hello, Miguel.F,

I do enjoy this photograph - it is excellent. I live in a seaside village in Oregon. The beauty of the sea is everchanging and enchanting. You have also captured the colors very well. I do see something on the horizon line that could use a little help.

The line where land and sea touch is vague and I would like to see the background mountains a tad darker. If you select the horizon line and sky, you might be able to change and sharpen just that section. If you have Photoshop you c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There‘s a strange transition between the unsharp coat of drops and the waves and the sea ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Miguel.F,

I do enjoy this photograph - it is excellent. I live in a seaside village in Oregon. The beauty of the sea is everchanging and enchanting. You have also captured the colors very well. I do see something on the horizon line that could use a little help.

The line where land and sea touch is vague and I would like to see the background mountains a tad darker. If you select the horizon line and sky, you might be able to change and sharpen just that section. If you have Photoshop you can easily use curves slider to do this.

Also perhaps the camera raw filter might help you change exposure in that section. In the left foreground, the white foam seems fuzzy because of the white being strong. Try to tone down the white there. Do try a few things and resubmit.

I hope you did look at this shot at 200% magnification to see the unsharp areas. Best regards, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

thank you (and all the others) so much for your helpful answers and suggestions. I will try to sharpen the pic slightly and the resubmit it.

I appreciate your great supprot!

Regards,

Miguel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overall there does seem to be a lack of some sharpness - the picture is not completely sharp. It isn't 'crisp'. You used a fast shutter speed - 1/1000 sec, so the shutter speed is fast enough to freeze the action, but despite this, it still seems to be a little out of focus. Adobe does look at sharpness a lot so, they may be a bit picky.

Notice in this example of the waves and just in front, it is a little soft. This may be due to the lens, however.

20171026 wave crop-IMG_3316p.jpg

So, perhaps the reviewer was thinking about this. Adobe wants tack sharp images after all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image is indeed quite soft. Your lens was at f11. Most lenses have the sharpest point around f8. The lens was at 135 mm according to the exif. But I do not see the lens make or type.

You may apply carefully sharpness to the picture if you intend to resubmit. Not too much, you can easily overdo.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines