Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rejected for Technical Reasons

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings

I am a newbie and recently submitted about a hundred images.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that almost all were accepted.  These three were rejected for technical reasons.  I'm hoping someone can help me better understand what may be lacking here.  I definitely see this as a educational opportunity and I am not afraid of constructive criticism.  These three photos are all a few years old and were pulled out of my archives.  I viewed them all again in LR at 100 % magnification and I think the bunny image has far too much noise in the background.  I think the squirrel shot may have been rejected due to shadowing on his back.  (I really don't see noise in that one.)  The image of the chilies has me stumped.  The rear chiles are OOF but the foreground ones seem OK.  Any help is appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congratulations. I had far more refusals than you have. So don't bother... 🙂

But, yes, I understand that you want to understand the rational behind this. I'm currently looking on my iPad, which is not ideal for the task, but normally I can spot quite some problems on the pictures. But not that much on yours.

So lets only comment on the bunny and let the hard parts to my colleagues... 🙂

You did a good analysis on that one. The noise level is higher than it should be, also if you look at the eyes.

The squirrel does not look very sharp to me. The shadow is probably not the problem. 

As for the chilies I do not see much on my iPad that would even give me a hint into the problems. I'll need to have a look on this on my desktop. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the above. The squirrels head looks out of focus and especially his nose and the border running up from there. Bunny needs more to be in focus as well, his mouth and what he is eating is out of focus and there is too much noise as already stated.

As for the chilis, I do not think it is so much a technical error but an IP violation with the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The squirrel - white balance for me - it is a little cool looking, so add a bit more yellow, and reduce the tint, because there is a slight magenta cast. Also on the 'snack', there's a slight chromatic aberration:

InkedSquirrel Snack_LI.jpg

With the colour balance fixed and removal of the chromatic aberration 

Squirrel Snackwhitebalance.jpg

you get this - a quick fix.

Bunny - also white balance, again it is just a little cool looking.

Chillies- I would give it more contrast. The colours are a little flat, they could 'pop' a bit more. Bring out the red in the chillies - just a bit. And maybe give just a bit more room at the bottom of the chillies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now on my PC:

Bunny: ISO1000 & agressive noise reduction does not work well together for stock! You see noise in the eyes and the noise reduction effects all over the picture. Simply look at the leaves in the bunny's mouth or the missing detail in the fur.

Squirrel: is out of focus.

Chilies: is too soft too. It would need a dose of sharpening.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great feedback!  Thanks to all those who provided helpful tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines