Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Submitting images from film

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am new to Adobe Stock. Almost 15 years ago, I submitted a few images to Alamy and a couple hundred to the, now defunct, Photoshelter stock startup of 2007-8 and gave up on stock after they went under. I just submitted four test images and had two rejected for artifacts that were scanned from 35mm color negatives with my Nikon scanner. I have been at this for 40+ years, in the photolab business and shooting in various roles, including 15 years as coporate advertising photographer, as well as my own personal "Fine-art" images. As such, about 80% of my images were shot on film from 35mm to sheet film. I wonder if film grain is being misinterpreted or rightly classified as "artifacts"? I usually don't use noise suppresion on my scanned images as I feel it makes them look soft. But I am also very aware of the concept of adapting my images to the clients needs and and specifications. 

So my question is, has anybody had any luck submitting images from film, especially 35mm, or should I move on to another agency? Or should I just try using a little noise suppression and see if they will pass muster?

I am attaching one of the rejected images as submitted and another version of it with a little luminance and a lot of color noise supression. Could some of the users familiar with this agency weigh in with their opinions as to whether the noise suppressed version might meet their standards?

Thank You

91028-13.jpg91028-13-2.jpg

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CurtyVW ,

Those shots are really nice and I understand why you would want to have them licensed on a stock platform. However, the quality of your images, they will not be accepted at most stock photo platforms and those that accepts them, the livelihood of getting them sold is next to never.

The photos exhibits both chromatic and luminant noise, and in addition color fringing around the the edges of the airplane.

jacquelingphoto2017_0-1613172123076.png

jacquelingphoto2017_1-1613172161798.png

Best wishes

JG

https://incomepayout.blogspot.com/p/income-requirements-and-payout.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Unfortunately, scanning negatives will give this problem with noise/artifacts. Did you submit the one with noise suppression? For stock images, they need to be clean.

If not, I would personally try again with noise suppression. Obviously, you would not want to do too much, because it can make them look soft! I think in your second image it is enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @ricky336 and @jacquelingphoto2017 have told you, the pictures are not usable as such in stock mostly because the quality requirements have changed. Digital pictures taken with a modern camera are simply cleaner, sharper and don't have that problem with physical support that needs to get digitized again.

You will have the same problem with all stock companies except those that do not check the submissions on quality merits.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

try Alamy they accept film I scanned old transparencies and did not expect to get accepted but were fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines