• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turned down due to artifacts problem...

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  This is my first time here.  I just wanted to see if anyone could tell me why this photo was turned down.  Looking at it over 100%, it don't see noise.  I turned in quite a few isolated white background pictures and they were all turned down due to same thing.  Please let me know what I can do.

Thanks so much!

blocks blank.jpg
Hi.  This is my first time here.  I just wanted to see if anyone could tell me why this photo was turned down.  Looking at it over 100%, it don't see noise.  I turned in quite a few isolated white background pictures and they were all turned down due to same thing.  Please let me know what I can do.

Thanks so much!

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

As oleschwander says, you did not a good job with the cutout of the cubes. Look at the borders and you will see some artifacts.

In addition, there is a shadow around the cubes, kind of shadow that appears, when the background has been blurred.

And my third is as also oleschwander did remark: There are on the cubes areas, where the wood pattern is blurred as if you stamped out some logos or inscriptions. As the wood pattern is quite sharp, this type of operation needs to be done very delicately.

Co

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A good image and a good idea. As I see it, there are problems all along the edges of the blocks (stamp tool?), especially at the lower one. There is also a kind of blur on the surfaces of the two lower in my eyes - don’t know how (or why) it’s like that? You have to do a better job isolating the block on white and add the fine shadow like the one you have now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As oleschwander says, you did not a good job with the cutout of the cubes. Look at the borders and you will see some artifacts.

In addition, there is a shadow around the cubes, kind of shadow that appears, when the background has been blurred.

And my third is as also oleschwander did remark: There are on the cubes areas, where the wood pattern is blurred as if you stamped out some logos or inscriptions. As the wood pattern is quite sharp, this type of operation needs to be done very delicately.

Conclusion: This picture needs a lot of rework to be done. The cut-out is quite easy, because of the cube geometric forms. The blur is very difficult to handle. PLease note that I did not mark all the artefacts. Only those I saw immediately.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As above, so you do have problems . You have to be careful with cloning, especially when you have a pattern, and in this case, you've got the wood grain. And you need to be careful with the shadows. Carefully look at those mentioned by Abambo​.

In addition look at the grain pattern in the third block - the grain is not matching:

blocks cloning.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ricky336 : Yes, you're right. I didn't even look at that... 🙂  But this too is a very important point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what your saying...thank you!  Actually, I should have just left what was on the blocks.  I appreciate this info.  I'm going to post another that was turned away for artifacts.  Now, I only have to view these at 100%, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kconkling, Yes, view at 100% magnification AND find the problems and fix them.

It is a learning process. We all start at zero. With a smile. JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. Looking in Photoshop or your editor at 100% will allow you to spot a lot of problems in your image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines