• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Yet another rejection - AESTHETIC OR COMMERCIAL APPEAL OF IMAGE

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have invested a fair bit of time loading up quite a few images only to be starting to experience a number of rejections.

Whilst I think the technical aspects may be questionable at times, especially when the so called fault is intended (i.e. grain on a B&W image), selective focus etc. Suspect that the use of software to analyse the images is the culprit in many cases. I am increasingly frustrated by the lack of an appeal process.

The following image (low res version) was rejected on the basis of "aesthetic or commercial appeal". The image was deliberately left uncropped so that it could be cropped by the client to suit their layout. I realise that this is potentially a subjective item, particularly with respect to the aesthetic component. But commercially can also be subjective, especially when the assessor (assuming a human is actually involved) may not have subject knowledge.

Background to the image. It was taken in a tourist town in the north west of Western Australia, called Broome. It has a history of Pearl Diving and Japanese divers were employed early last century to dive for the pearls in often treacherous conditions. Many died in the process and a dedicated Japanese cemetery was created for them to be laid to rest and honour their sacrifice. It has become a tourist attraction and forms part of the history of the tourist town. As such articles and the like are often compiled about it.

This image was specifically taken to provide a subject image for such articles and also tourism purposes. Given it is categorized as Travel, is an established tourism site and well visited, I would have thought such an image would be reasonably commercial. The selective focus was designed to create a story, signalling out a head stone among many.

Yet all of the above (despite being part of the key wording etc.) seems to be lost in the assessment process. Perhaps it is seen as too localized? Yet it could be argued I'm sure there are Japanese cemeteries elsewhere, or even potentially linked to world wars etc. This does assume that the main part of the reasoning was commercial appeal.

If no them perhaps it’s is one of aesthetic appeal?

Thanks

Garry

IMG_3528-2.jpg

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Hi,

I think that it is a very well made picture with the correct depth of field that is beneficial for the statement of the picture. Well done.

In my opinion, you can improve the image by brightening the depths, enhancing the green of the leaves and making the image more "friendly". Furthermore, it would be an improvement to reduce the lower dark area and the stone on the right side in the foreground by cropping and thus to move the main object out of the center of the picture according to the rul

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Garry,

Firstly, B&W images don't do so well, the buyer can add the effect themselves. And don't add grain. Your images will get rejected - as you have found. Always best to submit in colour.
I don't think the software is too blame.
As far as an appeal process - it is probably a good idea that there isn't any, because if there were, everybody would complain their image was rejected, because if they can, they will!

Background information to this image is irrelevant. Buyers want to know if the image will be useful. Adobe reviewers - I assume - know what image has potential to sell and those that do not. It is subjective here, but I think they have a pretty good idea! So, they might have thought that this image wouldn't sell. The image has to be striking, something special about it to grab their attention.

As for you image, composition is important, and maybe the reviewers didn't like your composition. For example, if it was possible, I think you should have made the head stone more central between the other 2 headstones in the foreground.

I don't think that aesthetics and commercial appeal are mutually exclusive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think that it is a very well made picture with the correct depth of field that is beneficial for the statement of the picture. Well done.

In my opinion, you can improve the image by brightening the depths, enhancing the green of the leaves and making the image more "friendly". Furthermore, it would be an improvement to reduce the lower dark area and the stone on the right side in the foreground by cropping and thus to move the main object out of the center of the picture according to the rule of thirds. Reduce the noise in the Background.

But a further point to consider would be, if for the inscriptions on the gravestones you maybe need a permission of the family members of the deceased to use this picture commercially.

Greets,

v.poth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks all. Constructive feed back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines