Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe license options for use of images in an ebook

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My question is for an Adobe representative legally allowed to answer licensing questions.

I'm trying to clarify the terms of use for a standard license for an asset. From the additional terms pdf updated June of 2017, a standard license asset can be used for the following:https://stock.adobe.com/license-terms

(2) digital productions such as websites, mobile advertising, mobile applications, e-cards, e-publications (e-books, e-magazines, blogs, etc.)

However, the terms as per the website state that an asset under standard license cannot be used prominently in merchandise or products for resale.

I want to clarify that under a standard license, an adobe stock image can be used to illustrate a book cover, chapter headings and for other illustrative purposes within the book (i.e. anatomical images that go alongside descriptive text) so long as the sales of the ebook do not exceed 500,000 copies.

Is this correct?

TIA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Hi Sukie,

For any book or ebook cover, a Standard license is sufficient unless it’s circulated more than 500,000 times.

Also, the image shouldn't be the primary value of the book.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Hi there,

Here are my responses to your questions:

1. Is an unmodified image on a eBook/printed book cover considered "an editorial context"?

>>No

2. Is an eBook/printed book cover considered an "item of merchandise"?

>>Yes

3. With the Standard License, can I use an unmodified stock image as the cover of my eBook/printed book, up until 500,000 copies sold total? The only change I was going to make would be to put the title just above (not on top of) the image, and the author name just below the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sukie,

Thanks for reaching out to the Adobe Stock community.

Ideally, if you are using an image from Adobe Stock in a book cover you should be using a Standard license(since the cover is basically the face of a book and a book cover can also reflect what is inside that book, so again this will help you in selling the book). Any asset of Adobe Stock which is used in merchandise or for reselling purpose needs an Extended license. Any asset which is featured for merchandise or for reselling requires an extended license.

Whichever book you wish to sell should have an extended license for those images used in the book. For the books which you wish just keep for reference and not sell, for those a standard license is fine.

For more information on the licensing terms and restrictions of Adobe Stock please refer to Stock Licensing & terms FAQ: Where can I find the terms and licensing information for Adobe Stock?

Hope this information helps!

Feel free to update this thread in case of any additional questions.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Twarita,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate your help with this issue.

Your answer does seems to contradict the terms. I can certainly understand needing an extended license for a book cover, although even that's fuzzy, and as stated here, Adobe Stock images can be used for covers so long as the print run is lower than 500,000.

"Use of Stock images on book or e-book covers is allowed if the print run is fewer than 500,000 copies (Adobe Stock limit). Images showing models can't be used in a manner that the models could perceive as offensive. (For example, avoid using images with models on the cover of a steamy romance novel or a book about politics or religion, etc.)"

Since the Extended License would remove the 500,000 limit, this Adobe documentation seems to suggest that a standard license is sufficient. Is that not true?

Second, the terms and conditions state clearly that Adobe Stock images may be used in e-books. The document you linked to specifically lists ebooks as follows:

"For clarity, you may only distribute marketing or promotional materials, internal presentations, decorations for display in a commercial space owned by you, and digital productions that incorporate the Work, such as websites, mobile advertising, mobile applications, e-cards, e- publications (e-books, e-magazines, blogs, etc.). " [emphasis added]

Further to the above, the standard license terms state:

"You may not incorporate a Work into merchandise intended for sale or distribution, unless (A) the Work has been modified to the extent that the modification is not substantially similar to the original Work and can qualify as an original work of authorship; or (B) the primary value of the item of merchandise does not lie with the Work itself." [emphasis added]

This last statement, by the inclusion of "unless" seems to indicate that images used as illustrative purposes are allowed for inclusion in merchandise intended for sale or distribution. It would seem that an image that serves to illustrate original text would not be the primary source of value for an image, similarly to the poster example stated directly in the terms of use. A poster of the unaltered image itself would offer the asset as primary value, whereas a poster with a movie title, writing, etc., would be "altered" and therefore the value would lie in the complete work, of which the image is one single component. In an ebook, the value lies in the text and the ideas expressed therein rather than in the images; it's not a coffee table book.

Please let me know if I'm still interpreting this incorrectly. If that is the case, I'll need to go with another image provider as I simply cannot afford $80 per asset for anatomical images serving to clarify verbal descriptions in a health-related ebook.

Thank you,

Sukie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello S. B.,

I've escalated your question to the Stock Product Team. It may take a few days to receive clarification to your questions.

EBQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sukie,

For any book or ebook cover, a Standard license is sufficient unless it’s circulated more than 500,000 times.

Also, the image shouldn't be the primary value of the book.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sheena... along those same lines..

A magazine that has text over images, on the cover or inside.. a standard license would be okay then, too? Even if the magazine is sold? the magazine is not about the images, it's about the articles, which is why text is over them. I believe this means the image is not prominent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. That sounds fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sheena.. I have another project I'd like to do... I'd like to make a coloring book to sell (maybe 2,000 copies), and would like to use your coloring images and also put a bible verse on each page. Is this allowed with the standard license?  Images like this, Coloring Book photos, royalty-free images, graphics, vectors & videos | Adobe Stock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is available, if the purchase is as specified by you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sheena. Thank you for your helpful answers in this thread!

I'm also publishing an eBook/printed book soon.

If I purchase an image with the Standard License:

1. Is an unmodified image on a eBook/printed book cover considered "an editorial context"?

3. With the Standard License, can I use an unmodified stock image as the cover of my eBook/printed book, up until 500,000 copies sold total? The only change I was going to make would be to put the title just above (not on top of) the image, and the author name just below the image.

4. If the image is unmodified, do I need to provide attribution, e.g. "Book/eBook cover image is Copyright ArtistName/Adobe Stock"?  Based on the answer in this thread?: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1958259

5. If attribution is required, can I put the attribution in an "acknowledgements" section inside the book? (But not on the cover itself, as I think that would look odd?)

Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Here are my responses to your questions:

>>No

>>Yes

>>Yes, you use the standard license.

4. If the image is unmodified, do I need to provide attribution, e.g. "Book/eBook cover image is Copyright ArtistName/Adobe Stock"?  Based on the answer in this thread?: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1958259

>>Yes, you'll have to credit the author

5. If attribution is required, can I put the attribution in an "acknowledgements" section inside the book? (But not on the cover itself, as I think that would look odd?)

>>Yes, that's possible.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sheena,

I hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread but I have been looking everywhere for clarification on standard or extended licence with adobe stock and this thread is the closest answer I have, but I'd just like to clarify before I start using images for my book.

Like the person who started this thread, I am making an educational coloring book for sale in print and ebook form. If I have understood your response to her correctly, I can use adobe images standard licence to illustrate the pages - the pages will have writing exercises on them, but I also want pictures for the kids to color in too. 

The images will most likely have other images with them from adobe and other sources to make up a scene. Just so I'm sure, am I right in thinking my situation is similar to the enquiry above: (copied below with your reply)  

I would be very grateful for your clarification. Many thanks in advance, Amanda W

Sheena.. I have another project I'd like to do... I'd like to make a coloring book to sell (maybe 2,000 copies), and would like to use your coloring images and also put a bible verse on each page. Is this allowed with the standard license?  Images like this, Coloring Book photos, royalty-free images, graphics, vectors & videos | Adobe Stockow

Adobe Employee , 
Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Yes that is available, if the purchase is as specified by you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I too am utterly confused. I am strictly a fiction author trying to make it in the world of self-publishing, including doing my own book covers. I find a lot of valuable book cover ideas through adove stock images moreso than on the free photo sites where license purchases aren't required. I want to be able to use some of these photos as book covers for both eBook and regular print book production purposes, books being for sale for my readers, but I don't want to get tied up in lawsuits over things I may not be understanding correctly. The kind of books I write for sale are fictitious and roughly around 400 pages. I am not an artist and don't have a network of artists for people interested in my line of fiction work.

I ONLY want to use the adobe images for book COVERs, and still be able to put my author name and book title on it (so I wouldn't be modifying the image itself or changing the way it was made/taken and posted in adobe's community stock. I am presently not a big name author, like Stephen King, so I don't foresee myself selling my books over 500,000 copies at this time (at least that is not my expectation, because I'm aware it's rare that authors have such fame recognition overnight). In knowing that, what SHOULD I be doing as a self-publishing fiction author.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wrote a children's book and used Adobe Stock photos for the cover and throughout the inside of the book as well. This will be used as a Kindle eBook if I can find someone to format and convert the eBook so I can finally publish it.

I have an Adobe Enterprise student account where I can use an unlimited amount of licensed stock photos.

My question is do I have to have an extended license to use the pictures for the cover and inside of the book on each of the 19 pages? Or can I publish it with the membership I currently have? Do I have to credit Adobe for each photo? Can I use a blanket credit in an acknowledgment?

I have altered the images - color, sharpness, and size. The pictures are used to help tell the story.

Thank you.

Melissa 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started