Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Stock file names

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

I work in a team of designers and we are having issues with the length of some of the file names of stock images. We work under extreme pressure at times, chasing tight dealines so changing file names is not a top priority. Some of the file names are really unnecssarily long and this causes issues when we package our InDesign files.

Is there any chance Adobe could limit the length of file names on Adobe Stock? File names that are more than a few words seems totally unnecessary.

Is it just us, or is this a wider issue for other subscribers?

TOPICS
Creative Cloud Integration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donovon, 

Thank you for your feedback. Actually there is a limit to the number of characters to a file name. It is limited to 200 characters. Since search engines such as Google uses the file name for search, many photographer sees it as being a necessity to pack as much as they can in the title. This might be the reason for many of these long file names.

You could however send this concern directly to Adobe by reaching out using the "Contact us" on your account page.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi donovanj79,

Do you have an example of a file name that is too long? The file name of a licensed jpeg is AdobeStock_nnnnnnnn.jpg and for a preview AdobeStock_nnnnnnnnn_Preview.jpeg where the series of n's represent the asset ID.

EBQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

For example:

https://stock.adobe.com/uk/images/the-new-page-of-our-story-delightful-parents-are-hugging-their-tee...

The file name here is: The new page of our story. Delightful parents are hugging their teenage daughter who is holding a key to their new apartment.

Is it really necessary to have such a long file name? Could you not have a download name that is simpler? So when the file is licensed and saved to CC Libraries the file name is shortened. Or Adobe gives us the option of saving it as the stock image reference number instead like it is saved when one downloads it to a local file storage location? i.e. this file would be named AdobeStock_294548436 in my CC Library instead of The new page of our story. Delightful parents are hugging their teenage daughter who is holding a key to their new apartment.

The main issue we have is that if a file name is too long, there are issue's packaging an InDesign document, i.e. it fails and I have to shorten the file name.

Many thanks,

Donovan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donovan,

I understand clearly what you are saying. In my opinion what you post as title of that image is more so a description, and not title or caption. Many of the words used in that description as far as I observe is not necessary for public search. "Delightful parents hugging teenage daughter" in my opinion would be adequate, and the rest goes into keywording. 

Regards, 

Jacquelin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donovan,

You can edit the URL to this, https://stock.adobe.com/uk/294548436 and you'll get the same image, but no description.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi EvilBugQueen,

I do have great respect for you comments on forums, but it would appear this time around you have misunderstood what the customer is say. My understanding is that what you are now suggesting is what the customer has always been doing, probably in a different way, which eats up quality time they do not have to spare. I believe what the customer is saying, is that they do not want to be editing anything unnecessarily. They just want to click and go. I also believe the customer is asking that one of us relay the suggestion to the appropriate personnel(s) at Adobe that the minimum characters in a title be limited to lest then 200 so that none of us artists mistakenly type descriptions for titles.  If I am mistaken with my understanding, please correct me. If I am correct, I believe a staff member would be in a better possession to relay such suggestion.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a staff member but would need more information from the user to provide any additional feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Good, great job EvilBugQueen. I assume you are privately asking all the necessary questions to gather the information you need, in which case my job is done here. Judging from other forums I've seen you active in I have confidence that the customer is in good hands.

Keep up the good work

Regards

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacquelin,

Thank you for your message. Your understanding is absolutely spot on.

Many thanks,

Donovan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi EvilBugQueen,

Thank you for your reply, however as Jacquelin has pointed out you have misunderstood me.

What I am suggesting is that when a user saves an Adobe Stock image to their CC Libraries, the file name is reduced to a lot less than 200 characters. Having a file name that is up to 200 characters long causes issues when it comes to packing InDesign files, and when we are chasing a deadline we simply do not have the time to rename every stock image we use.

What would be really good is for the user to have the option of saving the Adobe Stock image as either what the photographer/artist has named it, or as the Adobe Stock reference number. So using my earlier example;

Option 1, save the file as the name the artist has given it: The new page of our story. Delightful parents are hugging their teenage daughter who is holding a key to their new apartment.

Option 2, save the file as the Adobe Stock reference name: AdobeStock_294548436

Many thanks,

Donovan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donovan,
My confusion comes from how is it the files are being saved with the titles as the file name. When a file is downloaded or saved to your computer or your Creative Cloud library it is in the format I referenced above. I don't understand how you are able to save the file with the title as the default name of the file. Can you provide me with the steps you are using to save the file so I can understand this better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi EBQ,

I'm afraid the file name is not saved as you have mentioned. When downloading/saving to my CC Library, the file name is saved as I have explained in my messages above. Apologies if I am not getting my point across clearly, but I don't know how else to go about explaining what we as a team are experiencing. If an Adobe assistant would like to join me for a screen sharing session, I would gladly show them what is happening.

Regards,

Donovan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donovan,

All this means is that there is something different between the way you are saving the asset and the way I am saving the asset.  It sounds like there is a gap that our engineering team is not aware of and I'd like to help you solve this.

Please send me a private message and I'd be happy to arrange a time for you to demonstrate what you are experiencing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this issue been resolved? When you license a file through the stock website, it saves as AdobeStock_[ID number].jpg, but when you license it through the CC Libraries dialog in InDesign and use the "Copy link(s) to..." command to download the licensed files, they save with a shortened version of the crazy description instead, which is not optimal. It seems much better to have them save as AdobeStock_[ID number] no matter how you license them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donovan,

All this means is that there is something different between the way you are saving the asset and the way I am saving the asset.  It sounds like there is a gap that our engineering team is not aware of and I'd like to help you solve this.

Please send me a private message and I'd be happy to arrange a time for you to demonstrate what you are experiencing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I know this thread is old but I came across it because I have the same problem. I have been enjoying licensing images directly in my InDesign file. My workflow is usually:

1. Find images in Adobe Stock via my web browser, and save to a new CC Library I create for the project.

2. In my InDesign layout, pull in images from the CC Libraries panel, which places a watermarked preview image in the layout.

3. Once client has approved, I click on the image in InDesign, double-click on the shopping-cart icon on the top right, and license the image directly. This for some reason names the image with the image description, not the asset number. The image description can be multi-sentence and contain a lot of punctuation or special characters. These types of file names are always problematic in Packaging. It also makes the link show in the Links panel, Status column, with two little boxes, as approved to nothing, when the image has a clean name and is a clean link.

When I try to package the InDesign file, I get the error shown in the attached, where you can also see what the Link names look like.

If I purchase and download an image through my browser, I get the cleaner file name with just the asset number.

The reason I like my workflow is that I can pull from the Libraries and try out multiple images without having to download previews or license images from the browser. I may have 100+ images I am trying out for projects where the imagery approval process is complex and there are a lot of images.

So I would agree with the original poster that improving the way images are named when licensed in this way would be a huge times savings for users with this workflow. Packaging files for us is a necessary last step in delivery, and right now I need to open each licensed image from InDesign into Photoshop, for example, then rename, and then relink in InDesign, in order to package the file and all the assets.

Thank you,

Karenerror.jpglinks names.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Even if this is old, as long as the problrm persists, you are welcome to post here. Thanks for the screenshots! They are very meaningful.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After checking through the webpage source code, I see that this URL is the tag "acquireLicensePage" link. After examining my own photos, I realized that the filename used in this link is my photo title. Thank you Adobe! This makes my title keywords searchable in internet search engines.

If you need shorter filenames simply give shorter titles. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old thread and in the wrong forum, but the “download filename” of the given example is shorter and simply the image id:

Abambo_0-1626971974836.png

What the op is criticizing is not the download filename, but the assets title, which should stay as it is as this will help search engines to index the file correctly.

I'm moving this to the stock forum.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started