Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Stock Image Licensing for a PC/Mac Desktop Video Game

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I would like to start a subscription, and am trying to determine whether the Standard License is sufficient, for me to use images in my desktop video game. My first cause for concern, is the line in the Terms and Agreements, that says:

image_1.png

So my questions are as follows:

1. It says that the restriction does not apply to "mobile applications". In this case, I would like to use it in a desktop application, rather than a mobile one. What are the terms and conditions for non-mobile applications?
  2. If the 500,000 limit does apply to desktop video games, am I supposed to estimate how many people will buy the game?
  3. What happens if I estimate that only 10,000 will buy it, and 500,001 end up doing so?
  4. Can I modify the images, before using the in the video game?
  5. Do I get a specific license for each image downloaded? This is very important, as I would like an official document that says the name or preview of the asset, along with my name and/or address on it. Does adobe provide me with a dedicated license tailored to each image acquired with a standard license?
  6. Can the image take up a large section of the screen, during any scene in the video game? For example, I may want to use an image as a splash screen, during load times or scene transitions.

Thank you for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Deniz,

You can use an Extended license for featuring the image in the scene of your video game.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deniz,

Thanks for reaching out to the Adobe Stock community.

• The restriction remains the same for the desktop application, a work cannot be reproduced on more than 5,00,000 copies as mentioned in the Adobe Stock licensing terms and restrictions.
  • In case you are utilizing the video games for selling purpose, you will be requiring an Extended license. An extended license is an on-demand purchase and does come under the subscription plans.

• With Extended licenses, there are no boundaries on the count of people to whom the assets can be sold.

• Yes. You are welcome to edit the non-editorial asset in any way you deem necessary. Note, however, that your modifications must not violate or infringe on the intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity, nor place the author or the model in a bad light or depict them in any way that might be deemed offensive.
  • You do not get a license proof for your purchase separately, however, you get an invoice for your on-demand purchase as well as the license type is mentioned in your license history.
  • For using the image in scene transitions, a wiser/safer approach will be to use a part of the file or background of the file. However, an Extended license usually does not require this. In order to assist you with this, I will be requiring the screenshots of your work.

Additionally, please refer to the licensing terms and restrictions of Adobe Stock  Stock Licensing & terms FAQ: Where can I find the terms and licensing information for Adobe Stock? for more information.

Hope this information helps!

Feel free to update this thread in case of any additional questions.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to answer that. I have resigned myself to the fact that I would need an Extended License, if I want to use your images. That being said, I would like to confirm that I can use the image prominently on my scenes if I do pay extra for the Extended License. In other words, I am referring to question 6 above.

In your answer, you said, "an Extended license usually does not require this". The word "usually" worries me here, as the following information on your website, doesn't list the "Cannot use asset prominently in merchandise or products for resale" in the Extended License column.

image_2.png

As a result, for my peace of mind, if I buy an Extended License, can I feature that image prominently in any scene of my video game, such as the loading screen? Or is there still a limitation as to how much of the screen space that image can take?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Deniz,

You can use an Extended license for featuring the image in the scene of your video game.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started