• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get Adobe to crack down on cultural appropriation in photos?

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I was looking for photos to advertise an event that would feature an Indigenous perspective, I was shocked to see so many blatantly culturally appropriative images on Adobe Stock. How can Adobe allow people to upload white people wearing headdresses, wearing face paint, and masquerading in skimpy “costumes” on its site? It’s 2021, I thought we were way past such problematic behavior. 

I would hope that Adobe would review and audit images and remove these culturally insensitive and appropriative photos. How can I get them to take this issue seriously?

TOPICS
Asset Quality , General

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Zoe5EDC,

Adobe cares deeply about the respect and equal treatment of everyone, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, cultural background, or religious beliefs. We are continually auditing, evaluating, and improving the Adobe Stock collections to serve our customers’ needs. We appreciate you sharing your comments and concerns with us.

If you could provide asset IDs, or even search criteria I can forward your concerns to the appropriate team to review the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to give you Asset IDs but whenever I try and post, it says "post flooding detected" and I can't post the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can send the IDs to me privately. Are you posting links or the asset ID numbers? If links I wonder if this site is flagging because of the number of links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think either the links or copying and pasting is making a problem. I couldn't send them in a dm either. I'm going to try removing the links here and hopefully it will work:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked! These images can be found with search terms like “Native American” and “American Indigenous”
I hope that Adobe is able to look at these (and the hundreds/thousands of images like them) and changes the criteria under which appropriative images get approved for use. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Zoe5EDC,

I will forward your concerns to the appropriate team.

For future reference you can paste the asset IDs into the search field on the site and it will populate the search results with the images. I had forgotten this until just now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Me parece una aptitud  inquisitorial y una forma de censurar el arte expresado de multiples formas, incluidas las inspiraciones en  etnias o razas por parte de personas de otra etnia o cultura, que de ningun modo pretende ofender o disfrazarse.

Lamento que consideres ofensivo ver obras de arte fotografico representando una raza o etnia. es incomprensible que en el siglo XXI no esten superadas estas cosas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started