• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I licensed a jpeg on accident, what can I do with a jpeg?

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I licensed a jpeg on accident. Description mentioned PNG. I opened it up and looked at the file to see if I could do anything with it, but honestly... it's just a jpeg.

Why is Adobe selling jpegs? What can you do with a jpeg that looks like THAT, with all the ridiculous DRM?? It precludes me how anyone can be allowed to sell a product on Adobe in such useless condition???

TOPICS
Asset Quality

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "ridiculous DRM" and "useless condition"? JPEG seems a perfectly normal format - however the description is a lie, and the image should be corrected or removed.  There is no DRM on JPEGs. Your screen shot shows the preview, not the licensed image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Useless because I literally can't do anything with this file. There are no layers. No transparency. There is no content. I can get the same product just by clicking and saving the preview. I wasn't sure if I could share the licensed image here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, "ridiculous DRM", because the file you pay for is drenched in copyright protection... using industry-approved standards and methods, I am sure. You can't just use the file right away---oh no, that would be too easy. You have to "prepare" the file before it can be used. Oh yes.

When these files aren't being sold as jpegs, they basically have to be opened them up in Adobe Illustrator due to the proprietary .ai file format. Which means you've got to have paid access to the program, to even mess with it in the first place.

Then, you've got to turn off all the layers you don't need, and each artist seems to have their own unique "twist" on protecting their junk. My favorite method so far is the checkerboard method, where they include over 200+ different layers of black and white useless tiles you have to turn off. Fun fun. If you're new to this program, you've got to learn HOW to select multiple layers AND turn them all off, and it's not particularly straightforward. 

Then you've got to save the file, and there's several different ways to do this, that may or may not be optimal for your individual needs, or for the file itself.

So yes, it's a lot of fun having to "prepare" the file you just paid for. It's a danged mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kitkat! wrote:

Also, "ridiculous DRM", because the file you pay for is drenched in copyright protection... using industry-approved standards and methods, I am sure. You can't just use the file right away---oh no, that would be too easy. You have to "prepare" the file before it can be used. Oh yes.

This is nonsense! There is no DRM on licensed assets. All assets can be freely used as you wish, given that you follow the licensing terms. There is no technological enforcement of the terms, there is no build-in method to prohibit you to use the asset in any manner. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Yes, Ai files are best opened in the latest version of Adobe Illustrator. Illustrator is not some very obscure program, but the leading reference in this industry. And you are licensing from Adobe, do not forget. What is bad in Adobe stock is, that you do not see if an item is Illustrator, EPS or SVG format. With Illustrator, it would be interesting to know the Illustrator version. Some assets are also ignoring the embedded PDF requirement. I suppose that is because of their age. They may have been created with a prior version of Illustrator. If you have a third party program claiming to open Illustrator files, and they don't do that correctly, do not blame Adobe.

And I never licensed an item with 200 layers of checkerboard.I've licensed files from different contributors, and yes, each contributor has his own method. That is due because you can do many things differently. Generally, it is not a big affair.

If the file does not meet the requirements, you can check-in here and denounce the asset. Some assets do not meet the quality requirements, but they are rare. Adobe has adopted a rigorously stringent checking system prior to accepting an item to the database. It may fail, from time to time, but mostly it works fine. Most assets with quality issues are older assets, that were in the database, before this quality check was done. 

I get most files up to work within minutes after downloading. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may be taking the DRM thing a little too literal. I call it "DRM" because that's what it looks like. Restrictions are in place to keep the file from being shared so easily or readily.

You probably haven't downloaded enough assets to fully appreciate or understand what some of these files look like after opening them. I couldn't use my files right away after licensing them, they had to be stripped of their "protection" before I could use them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think you may be taking the DRM thing a little too literal. I call it "DRM" because that's what it looks like. Restrictions are in place to keep the file from being shared so easily or readily.

By @kitkat!

There is no restriction besides the law that prevents you to share the asset, once licenced. DRM is a technical method in place to prevent you from copying an object and sharing it with others.

You probably haven't downloaded enough assets to fully appreciate or understand what some of these files look like after opening them. I couldn't use my files right away after licensing them, they had to be stripped of their "protection" before I could use them.

By @kitkat!

Yes, I have. I've worked with stock since the days stock was distributed on CDs. I've also worked with quite many complex Illustrator files. What you call protection is bad style by the creator, who could use the layers in a better way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To ease the checking, you should post a link to the asset: https://stock.adobe.com/uk/images/christmas-background-powder-dust-light-png-magic-shining-gold-dust...

Clearly, this asset is useless, and the description does not match-up with the file format. The asset claims to be PNG and vector at the same time, which is impossible.

Let's see what @Contributor1 says.

Other assets of the same author show the same erroneous and misleading title, but effectively are vector assets. The author should cure his titles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link to the image, here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started