• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I want to use FREE images in a book I am publishing. Do I need to buy any plans?

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this has been asked before. I am authroing a book and want to use FREE images on Adobe Stock site. Do I need to buy any license/subscrptions for it? I don't think I will ever go upto 500.000 copies limit which is mentioned in some documents. If I don't use any other assets than FREE, do I need to buy/get any specific license. I am planning to use these images in the inside pages of the book (not on the cover). Thanks for your help.

TOPICS
Licensing , Plans and purchase , Terms of use

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

According to this page: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/help/usage-licensing.html

"You can use Adobe Stock assets, except for the ones marked “editorial use only,” in any creative project, such as print ads, brochures, presentations, posters, book covers, commercials, websites, and annual reports. For the complete Adobe Stock image licensing terms, see http://www.adobe.com/go/stockterms."

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Adding it here as I can't edit the initial question

By @Ashish24077289q841

New users can't edit their posts. That is intentional. You effectively need to reply to your own post to clarify things. That's no big deal.

I plan to sell ebook and print copies. 

By @Ashish24077289q841

The combined e-book and print run needs to stay under 500k. For free assets, there is no possibility to buy extended licences. You will have to wait for the asset to transit to the paid collection again. Normally, a

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding it here as I can't edit the initial question - I plan to sell ebook and print copies. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adding it here as I can't edit the initial question

By @Ashish24077289q841

New users can't edit their posts. That is intentional. You effectively need to reply to your own post to clarify things. That's no big deal.

I plan to sell ebook and print copies. 

By @Ashish24077289q841

The combined e-book and print run needs to stay under 500k. For free assets, there is no possibility to buy extended licences. You will have to wait for the asset to transit to the paid collection again. Normally, assets are for a year in the free collection. But the contributor can resubmit them to the free collection, and if selected, they will be again free for a year. The licence you acquire is perpetual, it expires only, when you hit the 500k print run.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to this page: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/help/usage-licensing.html

"You can use Adobe Stock assets, except for the ones marked “editorial use only,” in any creative project, such as print ads, brochures, presentations, posters, book covers, commercials, websites, and annual reports. For the complete Adobe Stock image licensing terms, see http://www.adobe.com/go/stockterms."

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Free image assets come with a standard licence. You can do all with a free asset, that you can do with a for-pay asset, including commercial use. You do not need a subscription of any kind, you will need an Adobe ID, however.

It is worth mentioning that you can also buy credit packs and monthly subscriptions (not to confound with annual subscriptions paid on the month). And you can also use the 10 assets test subscription to licence 10 paying assets for free. You should not, however, forget to cancel in time to avoid having an annual subscription.

Look here for more information on licensing: https://community.adobe.com/t5/stock/links-for-licensing-terms/td-p/11366788
(Disclaimer: As always with licensing, this is my interpretation of the rules. I think they are correct and advice is based on reading and interpreting the licence terms and on fair use for both the buyer and the artist/stock company, but I cannot rule out that my interpretation is wrong. I'm not an Adobe employee).

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started