[Illustrator] Issue with graphic vector effects from adobe stock image

New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I purchased a vectored stock image with some complicated lighting effects in it.  In the illustrator file it appears OK but if I try to copy paste it into another new document or even rasterize it, something odd happens to the lighting effects.  It basically simplifies it into a shape rather than a lighting effect.proof-visual2.JPG

does anyone know why this happens and if there is anyway I can lock down the graphic so I can send it to a printers?  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the image number?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi O. B.,

What do you mean copy and paste into another document? Can you provide more specific steps and the asset number please?

EBQ

EBQ

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the number is 107419345 - So when I download the file it opens up in illustrator.  I then need to copy this into a print template file that is also in illustrator but when I do this, the distortion occurs to the graphic as you see in previous message attachment.

I gave up doing this and instead created the print file within the original artwork file (the one I downloaded) and it appeared fine, until I sent it to the printer and they proofed it back to me with the distortion issue.

this is what it should look like....proof-visual1.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The asset is ok, but all assets of this type use complex modes to get those fancy colour effects. Depending on your operations, you will loose some of the effects and the light effects will flatten.

What was your file format to send the data to your print provider?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, I saved it out as a PDF from an illustrator file.  The PDF file I saved appeared fine.  Not sure if this is something to do with image settings in illustrator?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For final output prints you should select PDF/X4. That should work with all print companies.

I have downloaded the asset and integrated into a different file (copy/paste) and it worked fine. Also the print went straight even that the printer's rip needed some time.

From what I know now, I would say that either your file has a problem or that the printer company  tried to edit your file. Some printer companies have the very bad habit to open PDF files with Illustrator and that will mess the file...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's great, thank you so much for being so helpful, I really appreciate it!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would like to propose the following:

• Ask your service provider what they do with the files you submit for printing. Ask what kind of program / hardware they have for imposition.
  • You can put your Illustrator file on the cloud and send a link via PM. The same for the PDF. I can have a quick look into the files to check for problems.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started