Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

image I boght but can't find license for

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PicRights / Reuters and their law firm Higbee & Associates are shaking me down for images I used on my blog in 2015. I know these were images I got on a royalty-free website, but can't find proof of it. Any advice on whether to ignore, settle, or do something else.

TOPICS
Licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Joe5D46 Do you think this is an image from Adobe Stock? It looks to be a US Department of Defense asset, which means it has been released to the public domain, or at least there is a full size file accessible for free from their database here: U.S. soldiers retire the command colors during the ceremony marking the end of the U.S. military mis...

Here is a screenshot of the photo's metadata:

sample-a111.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Joe5D46,

If the image is editorial it would not be royalty-free and you would not have gotten it from Adobe Stock in 2015 as we didn't sell editorial content until later. I do see images similar to this one in our Editorial collection.

We cannot offer legal advice, I think you know the answer either way.

EBQ

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know these were images I got on a royalty-free website, but can't find proof of it.

By @Joe5D46

That's bad because it means you cannot prove that you properly licensed the picture. In all cases, I would suggest consulting a lawyer specialized in this matter. Copyright cases can be costly if handled the bad way.

Tip: you may find more info in the metadata of the original file.

In the future, I would recommend keeping a copy of the licensing terms of any picture you may license with the original file.

The picture @Jain Lemos shows is slightly different. It may well be that the DoD released that specific picture into the public domain, but that your picture has been entered in the Reuters database. And probably, it can only be used in an editorial sense, which also means that you would have needed to acknowledge the source. All stock agencies have similar rules in this matter.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started