• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images for a Calendar with time planner - Standard or Extended License?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a calender in our brand design, which will be given for free to customers.

The calendar will feature 12 photos (1 for each month) and a title picture.

Except for the title image, each picture will occupy half the page or less (depending on the final layout).

The other half will be filled with the dates/days of that month and space for notes on each day.

Our brand logo will also be placed in that content area.

Are Standard licenses sufficient for this purpose or would I require Extended licenses?

In my interpretation the images alone do not represent the "main value of the product" as they are embedded into an asset which is designed as a time planning tool. Correct? 

We'd stay way below the limit of 500,000 copies btw.

I'd be grateful for your estimation.

TOPICS
Licensing , Terms of use

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

By my experience, you are designing an expensive calendar, and I'm not talking about the pictures you will licence.

So to tackle your question about the licence type needed, just imagine, you would sell the calendar and not give it away. So, the primary value of your creation would be the images, as the calendar part is the same for each calendar you buy. I would guess, you would need extended licences for this application. But I really would recommend to check this with your IP lawyer.

Look h

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By my experience, you are designing an expensive calendar, and I'm not talking about the pictures you will licence.

So to tackle your question about the licence type needed, just imagine, you would sell the calendar and not give it away. So, the primary value of your creation would be the images, as the calendar part is the same for each calendar you buy. I would guess, you would need extended licences for this application. But I really would recommend to check this with your IP lawyer.

Look here for more information on licensing: https://community.adobe.com/t5/stock/links-for-licensing-terms/td-p/11366788
(Disclaimer: As always with licensing, this is my interpretation of the rules. I think they are correct and advice is based on reading and interpreting the licence terms and on fair use for both the buyer and the artist/stock company, but I cannot rule out that my interpretation is wrong. I'm not an Adobe employee).

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your interpretation.

Your point that a calendar timeline is no unique content or structure makes sense.
Regarding the more or less unique composition of the calendar, one could see it as a borderline case.
But in terms of safety and fairness the Extended License might be the appropriate choice here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started