Licence clarification please

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, and thanks for any help in advance.

I am wondering if anyone can clarify what a 'standard' licence means in this context...

I am a graphic designer creating publications for all sorts of clients. I then pass over the print ready PDF files or the web banner - you know the stuff - and... well... does that mean that my client doesn't have the licence?

In other words, every image I buy I only buy for my own usage. Does this mean that the client has no licence?

I was speaking with a competitor library who said that all images I use in publications I'm essentially 'selling' so they need 'enhanced' licences?
Can anyone clarify please?

Thanks

TOPICS
Licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are the man in the middle. Each time you do a job and buy a license for and on behalf of a client, you need to acquire the license the client (end user) needs. You can transform and work with the licensed assets, but only on behalf of that client. Your client needs to agree to the license terms. If you want to hide your source, what is a legit business action, you need to use own license terms which are at least as limitating as Adobe's.

If you need the same asset for a different client or even for your own need, you need to relicense. You cannot "recycle" an asset for cutomer 1 to use with customer 2. This demands some organization like keeping track of what assets you use for what client.

I was speaking with a competitor library who said that all images I use in publications I'm essentially 'selling' so they need 'enhanced' licences?

You are selling your work. You are not "selling" the asset. Even if you do passthrough engineering (you license and pass on the asset like that) you may ask a servicing fee to cover your expenses+profit.

This is different to printing the asset on a mug and selling the mug. In the case of the mug, you are selling a products which has its essential value in the picture. That's an enhanced license. But you are not forwarding any rights on the picture.

Any other reading of the license terms would lead the stock business model ad absurdum.

Most of the assets are licensed by people like you on behalf of a customer. Only customers with an own creative department are licensing their own assets, occasionally end users license assets on their own to p1mp up their Powerpoint presentations.

Conclusion: use enhanced licenses where your customers use would need such a license. Use standard licenses where your customers use would need only a standard license. License an asset for one customer only, relicense (the same asset) for the next one.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kindly refer the below link 

https://stock.adobe.com/in/enterprise-conditions

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started