• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

License for a modified image for a scientific publication

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I downloaded some assets under the standard license to create a figure with text, for a scientific publication in a journal. But I am unsure if an extended license is needed. The main value of the figure is understandable even without the assets; they are added for a visual representation that goes with the text. Since textbooks are allowed for a standard license, I considered a scientific journal as a textbook, but I would like a clarification to avoid any legal issues. Please note that I have read the license terms of Adobe Stock, but still need clarification.

The scientific journal's policies mention publishing with open access under the Creative Commons (CC-BY, version 4.0). This means that authors retain copyright, but the content is free to download, distribute, and adapt for commercial or non-commercial purposes, given appropriate attribution to the original article. Upon submission, authors grant a license to publish, including to display, store, copy, and reuse the content. The CC-BY Creative Commons attribution license enables anyone to use the publication freely, given appropriate attribution to the authors and citing the journal as the original publisher. The CC-BY Creative Commons attribution license does not apply to third-party materials that display a copyright notice to prohibit copying. Unless the third-party content is also subject to a CC-BY Creative Commons attribution license, or an equally permissive license, we must comply with any third-party copyright notices.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check the licensing terms. If you can't determine the licence needed, ask a lawyer.

Look here for more information on licensing: https://community.adobe.com/t5/stock/links-for-licensing-terms/td-p/11366788
(Disclaimer: As always with licensing, this is my interpretation of the rules. I think they are correct and advice is based on reading and interpreting the licence terms and on fair use for both the buyer and the artist/stock company, but I cannot rule out that my interpretation is wrong. I'm not an Adobe employee).

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started