• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

License

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I want to start small business - poster design and Print-on-Demand service, I imagine approximately 10-15 sells per month. I want to buy 5-7 photos of English Premierleague footballers per month. Is that possible? If yes, what kind of license do I need. Or maybe I need credits. How much does it cost? Thanks

TOPICS
Licensing , Plans and purchase

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

So far as I know Adobe Stock don't license photos of English Premiere League footballers. If they do, you will need an enhanced license because the image is the product in this case. You should be aware that mentioning the English Premiere League, or using club or League logos, or mentioning footballers by name, or running any images in team kit, will need further licenses from the Premiere Leagure, or clubs, or other license holders. I suspect they work with chosen merchandising partners. I can

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

If you create original art of an unrecognisable footballer, in a completely original team strip, with no logos, and don't mention any clubs or league names you may avoid hearing from lawyers. There is so much different IP you are dealing with here, every one of which has teams of lawyers, both from the original license holder and from those who negotiated exclusive rights:

- The likeness of the footballer (you also would need a model release from the player)

- The design of the kit

- The individ

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far as I know Adobe Stock don't license photos of English Premiere League footballers. If they do, you will need an enhanced license because the image is the product in this case. You should be aware that mentioning the English Premiere League, or using club or League logos, or mentioning footballers by name, or running any images in team kit, will need further licenses from the Premiere Leagure, or clubs, or other license holders. I suspect they work with chosen merchandising partners. I can't see that this is a viable model for a small business unless you have found a specific discussion of this from the League; I suspect big print players have exclusive agreements costing millions. Don't try to ignore the licensing needs though, legal action would be swift and expensive; you should have detailed discussions with an IP lawyer before you start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for answer, though I dont like it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

even if I modify pictures? it wouldn't be simple big prints. it's gonna be smth like that

vitalisb59026734_0-1590404415379.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create original art of an unrecognisable footballer, in a completely original team strip, with no logos, and don't mention any clubs or league names you may avoid hearing from lawyers. There is so much different IP you are dealing with here, every one of which has teams of lawyers, both from the original license holder and from those who negotiated exclusive rights:

- The likeness of the footballer (you also would need a model release from the player)

- The design of the kit

- The individual trademarked logos and designs on the kit

- The name of the player, the team, the league

- The ball is probably also recognisable

The fact is, if you come with a great idea for making money from something or someone that's already popular, then all you will get is lawyer's bills. And in choosing football you have chosen one of the most popular areas, and most enthusiastically protected. If you make something, without rights, they MUST sue you, no matter how small you are, to protect their rights (this is how UK law works, people tell me).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Test_screen_Name says: It's not available as a "small" business model. There is a reason why TV stations pay huge sums to get exclusives, companies in merchandising pay huge sums just to be able to use the logo on their 2 cents key holder or spoon.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for answers. already started thinking smth else 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! Good luck!

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started