• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Licensing for self-published book

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read the Adobe usage "contracts" again and again and still do not understand legal permissions to use Adobe Stock photos in my new Print on Demand book. How many copies can I sell of a book that contains more than 80 Adobe Stock images? 

1. I have puchased and Enhanced License for the cover of my book

2. I have 80 plus Adobe Stock Standard Licensed images that have been altered (from color to black and white) that I wish to use in the interior of my book. 

3. I don't understand, after much consulting with your experts online and by phone if this is acceptable useage of standard licensing. Please help and confirm. It would of course be disasterous, should I discover I've done something wrong after I launch my book. Thank you!

TOPICS
Licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1) OK

2) You are allowed to make modifications.

3) As for the need for an extended licence, please refer to the licensing terms and the answer 1 here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/stock/license-and-usage-for-print-books-and-ebooks/m-p/10398218#M4136.... At the end of the day, you need to know if the primary value of your book lies in the assets licensed from Adobe or not. (I simply assume that the print run of your book is less than 500k)

Don't expect anyone to give an actionable opinion here. The best Adobe staff will say here is that the terms of the licence cover all cases and that you should read them. This is correct, as your intended use may differ significantly from your description, and it is impossible to determine whether the images are an essential part of the product or only used for illustrative purposes. (see point 1 here https://community.adobe.com/t5/stock/license-and-usage-for-print-books-and-ebooks/m-p/10398218#M4136...). If you are unsure of the licensing terms, you should ask a lawyer specialized in this matter.

Look here for more information on licensing: https://community.adobe.com/t5/stock/links-for-licensing-terms/td-p/11366788
(Disclaimer: As always with licensing, this is my interpretation of the rules. I think they are correct and advice is based on reading and interpreting the licence terms and on fair use for both the buyer and the artist/stock company, but I cannot rule out that my interpretation is wrong. I'm not an Adobe employee).

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started