• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Logo image licensing

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's standard policy that you can't use a stock image for your logo or trademark. Understood.

But it's bugged me for a long time that there are loads of images on Adobe stock that are clearly marked as a logo. I can't see what purpose they would serve for anything else. In fact if you search for "logo" you get nearly 1.5 MILLION results.

So my question is ...what are the rules governing a stock graphic that is clearly intended to be used in a logo? Why would Adobe accept them if they are restricted from being used for their intended purpose?

I'm currently researching ideas for a water-based logo. There are lots of great splash and droplet vectors that are labelled as logos. Can I use them or not?  It's baffling.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Terms of use

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Hi SooBrett,

Please refer the legal terms of use for Adobe stock images:

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/legal/servicetou/Adobe_Stock_Terms-en_US-20161015_2200.pdf

Hope this helps you understand where and how you can use the images.

Feel free to update the thread for any query.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

You need to have complete ownership of the image you use for your company logo since logos are intended to be registered and protected to prevent other companies or organizations from using the same image. Because Adobe Stock only grants a right to use images and does not transfer the ownership, these images cannot be used in or as a logo.On Stock website, we have images and not logos that can be used.

Refer: Common Questions, Adobe Stock

You may also Contact Customer Care for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Hi Maxine,

The Adobe Stock assets cannot be used as logos.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@stellarv,

I do not understand what you mean by “other uses” and “live with the limitations”. Please could you explain?

“other uses” : you may use the asset for any use except for a logo.

“live with the limitations”: accept that you can't use the asset as logo.

And yes, it is unfortunate that the moderators vetting the assets for errors do not refuse assets, when “logo” is named in the keywords or titles. Keywords and titles are part of the vetting process.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So please if the images marked as logo templates and with words such as "insert your company name here" cannot be used as logos - or even as the starting point for logos as someone tried to ask you above, please state this clearly here in simple language.

Either your database is stuffed with misleading, erroneous, pointless images or it isn't. If it is please clean it up.

You can't blame the artists who upload the images for tagging against Adobe rules, as this is ADOBE's database. It means Adobe's workflow for artists is flawed and because of that Adobe are misleading large numbers of people, who might find this an advertising standards issue. 
~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I don't understand how they can lost their stock image as a logo but we can't use it as such

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was there an answer given?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a correct answer (an answer marked “correct”)…  What do you want more?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently struggling with grasping the this concept as well. I work with an in-house marketing department that requires original event and conference branding constantly, which all require unique "logos" or identities. I have seen an incredible amount of images and graphics labeled as logos that would work as solutions for many of my needs, yet I'm told I cannot use a download as an official "logo."

I'm very disappointed with the staff outreach that has taken place in this thread. After being asked very reasonable questions by paying customs, the inflection of the adobe reps has been mildly rude and in poor taste (i.e. "there is no way you can buy a logo for $10...) I think it's safe to say that anyone who is taking an interest in this thread knows the value of a logo.

Is there anyway to contact the original uploader of a stock download to discuss the potential options of exclusive ownership? I understand there is plenty of more complications that go along with this, but it doesn't seem completely absurd to ask. If not, I believe adobe should evaluate this as a possibility because this will turn into a massive problem in the future. Many of your users will be taking something that says "insert your company name here" and do just that, without knowing that they are in violation. It's almost like baiting someone into a trap.

SooBrett, I completely understand your frustration and think it definitely needs addressing on adobe's end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

christopherb52711096  wrote

Is there anyway to contact the original uploader of a stock download to discuss the potential options of exclusive ownership?

No, there is no way to to contact the original uploader.

If you need constantly logos, you should hire a graphic designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a graphic designer. I do create my own logos, lots of them. I understand the value and time that it takes to produce great logos. If you read my post above, I mentioned the constant branding we do for events, bootcamps, workshops, and conferences. The workload can become very high in volume from time to time, and it would be helpful to use these "logos" (as advertised) if in a pinch from time to time. I understand the policies, I'm just saying it could be worth reviewing them as well. Also, you're inflection comes off as passive aggressive and distasteful. Thanks for being slightly helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logos need to be exclusive. So the artwork needs to be unique and so it cannot be coming from stock. You can, however use stock if you do not need to claim uniqueness. We use stock exactly for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ChristopherB, it's reassuring to know that I'm not being unreasonable about seeking clarification.

In my view image copyright abuse is polarised between the wanton misuse and theft of licensed images on social media etc and the necessarily protective, but baffling rules for their use on stock sites.

I consider myself a conscientious professional who cares about protecting the rights of artists, designers and photographers. I wouldn't dream of creating a logo that wasn't a unique piece of artwork, or I would be failing my clients badly.

What worries me is that Adobe Stock is awash with images tagged as "logo" which is potentially misleading to those who don't understand the implications of using them as their company or product logo. Increasingly small business owners are DIY'ing their branding design to save money and I don't think we can assume they understand the rules.

Ignorance is rife I'm afraid. I was gobsmacked when a client instructed me to download images for their website from a Google image search. I put them straight of course ... but they thought it was a free stock site! I wonder how common that is.

If I understand correctly, if the artwork doesn't need to be unique, it's fine to use a stock logo, perhaps for an event or poster or such. A list of permissible uses for images tagged "logo" would be helpful. Unique company or product marques should be designed entirely from scratch without the use of stock images, even for small components of the design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SooBrett  wrote

What worries me is that Adobe Stock is awash with images tagged as "logo" which is potentially misleading to those who don't understand the implications of using them as their company or product logo. Increasingly small business owners are DIY'ing their branding design to save money and I don't think we can assume they understand the rules.

If I don't understand my plumbing, I need a plumber to do the work... Doing your own brand to save money is probably not always a good thing to do for your business...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree Abambo ...but some people unwisely do their own plumbing too!!  I refer to dentists when having this discussion with potential clients because nobody fixes their own teeth. I've been a branding designer for 25 years and it's pretty clear that many small business owners have limited appreciation of the value of design, or of the time and effort that goes into producing a logo (and any other design work). When people have that sort of misconception, it extends to the use of stock images as well. It is incumbent on us in the design industry to challenge those assumptions and guide people towards a better understanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SooBrett  wrote

I totally agree Abambo ...but some people unwisely do their own plumbing too!!  

My father can do...even that he is not a qualified plumber. But I would not touch the plumbing...

But yes, people think that design is easy, fast and that Word can do that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The plumber doesn't manufacture his tools by hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question was asked over 2 years ago and scrolling this post and others I am unable to find a single response that answers the question. Even the attempted condescending remarks by Abambo don't actually answer the question at hand. As mentioned a number of times in this post by commentors, Adobe has thousands of images that are tagged as "logo". Other sites that specifically prohibit logo use go into detail that these type images/tags aren't even allowed to be uploaded and they actively prevent them from being uploaded to their sites. Adobe, obviously, does not. So, if one were to take a vector image (so not a full stock image), modify it, then add onto it with many other elements to create a brand new, unique image for a logo would that go against the terms? And please don't just respond with a link to the FAQs that have been shared multiple times and do not answer the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osisis  wrote

So, if one were to take a vector image (so not a full stock image), modify it, then add onto it with many other elements to create a brand new, unique image for a logo would that go against the terms? 

No, that wouldn't be against the terms. As long as the resulting design is unique...

The problem is that logos need to be exclusive individual branding and anything on stock isn't. So it is not apt to be used in logos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This answer is self-contradicting and makes the topic at hand even more confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing contradicting in the answer. STOCK IS NOT TO BE USED WITH LOGOS.

However, when you use stock, modify in such ways that the modifications make it an own specific and unique design, that design can be used as logo.

Logo's need to be unique and apt for exclusive use. And that's per se a blocking situation to stock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abambo, thank you for your response. That is what I thought and just wanted to make sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, question! If I am making a holiday post for facebook, can i put my logo on the Standard Licensed Adobe stock photo and post it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, question! If I am making a holiday post for facebook, can i put my logo on the Standard Licensed Adobe stock photo and post it?

By @Daniel21828508b8vi

Yes, why not? You do not use a stock asset as a logo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started