Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing author data (IPTC) after download

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Since a few weeks we have noticed that after downloading different stock images, some essential fields in the IPTC data, especially the author and copyright, are emtpy. This is the case as soon as we check on the files in our local download folder without altering them in any way. It only happens with certain files, recent examples for this are file numbers 213041347 and 185570747.

Since we are required by the Adob licence agreement not to delete and/or change the IPTC data, we are worried this could result in a legal problem later down the line. As far as we are concerned, we would have no way of proving, that the IPTC data were already empty by the time of downloading the file from Adobe Stock.

So we would like to know if this is a known issue for the support staff and if there is a already a workaround to avoid legal consequences?

In addition to that, we have observed cases over several years where the name of the author in the IPTC data is different from the one that is given on the Adobe Stock website (e.g. file number 101107154). Are we correct in assuming that we have to use the name from the Adobe Stock website when citing the file source in our publications?

TOPICS
Licensing , Terms of use , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

I think you're looking at the wrong IPTC field:

Abambo_0-1647276834937.png

All other data, including (c) are as uploaded by the author. If you license an asset of mine, you will get the credit line, according to my pseudo (Abambo - stock.adobe.com) and other data, as filled in by me. You may check this with one of my free assets: bottle and glass shadows on the walls.

If you are using the asset in an editorial way, you should use the credit line. It may be, that even the original creator is not aware that other data is s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're looking at the wrong IPTC field:

Abambo_0-1647276834937.png

All other data, including (c) are as uploaded by the author. If you license an asset of mine, you will get the credit line, according to my pseudo (Abambo - stock.adobe.com) and other data, as filled in by me. You may check this with one of my free assets: bottle and glass shadows on the walls.

If you are using the asset in an editorial way, you should use the credit line. It may be, that even the original creator is not aware that other data is still present in the file. It does not disturb me personally, but I was surprised, that this additional data did not get stripped by Adobe.

I also find it unfortunate that Adobe bars the licensees to delete IPTC data from the files, as some CMS systems strip files from those data, when they get uploaded to a website. And some (former) contributors are attempting to make some extra money from people who have unfortunately licensed their assets. I find this very, very disturbing and dishonourable from those contributors. They should say, that you are not allowed to strip IPTC data from the original file.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arambo,

Thank you for your answer! To be honest, I was not aware of this field. I will have to talk to our IT department if it's possible to change the way our CMS-System is handling the read and output of the IPTC data.

But I think this essentially solved our problem.

Dominik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started