Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Photo Attribution for a Membership Guide?

New Here ,
May 25, 2019 May 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently putting together a membership guide for a business organization (chamber of commerce). The guide includes three pictures licensed from Adobe Stock (Standard) and only 2000 copies will be printed total. They will be handed out to members, politicians, and prospective members. The membership guide includes letters from politicians and interviews from business leaders, however, stock photos are not used with these. Instead, they are used as the cover image for the guide, an image for the table of contents, and an image for a page with statistics on executive compensation in a particular country.

I talked with Adobe support, and they said I did not need to add a credit line. I remain unconvinced, however, that they understood what I was trying to say. Would a membership guide for a chamber of commerce be considered editorial material? Do I need to credit these three images or not?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi tyb

The volume would fall under standard licenses, however if I understand your explanation correctly the purpose of use would be event related. If so base on the understanding I gather from License information and Terms of use | Adobe Stock , editorial license would be more appropriate.

Regards

JG

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We did attribute the pictures in similar situations. The standard license is adequate. Editorial licenses are not available for standard pictures.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like at that volume, and it's something you aren't selling, that you would not be required to add a citation/credit line. However if you felt the need to do so, you can usually find photographer information related to the image you licensed.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mark-heaps  wrote

(...) and it's something you aren't selling, that you would not be required to add a citation/credit line. (...)

It's not selling that triggers the citation. Even a for free print needs citation if the picture is used in an editorial style which I think could be discussed in this case. But as I said in a former post, I did attribute the pictures in similar cases in annual reports. That had also the effect to mark the images as illustrative only.

I wouldn't credit for an advert.

And I would ask a different question: Does it hurt to credit the author? Because I often see that I'm miscredited and I really do not appreciate.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that attribution usually applies when copyright is shared with the public, like in a creative commons license, and so you give attribution to protect yourself, and direct to the CC license by said individual creator. Citation is when you have licensed with private terms a copyright piece.

Interestingly, I found this example text on Shutterstock's FAQ site. I imagine it's a very similar expectation for Adobe.

Use in Editorial Content
If you use any images or footage for editorial pieces, you must include a proper attribution. What qualifies as editorial content? This phrase essentially means anything that is designed to be newsworthy or of public interest. Books, news articles, and documentaries are some of the most common types of editorial content. Using Shutterstock images or footage in an editorial piece requires an attribution to give credit.

• The correct format looks like this: "Artist's Name/Shutterstock.com"

When using content in an editorial application, you can use any images and footage in the Shutterstock library. However, it's important to remember that content marked with the "Editorial Use Only" tag is only authorized for editorial applications. You may not use editorial content for commercial purposes or applications, such as advertisements, websites, or business cards.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

mark-heaps  wrote

I thought that attribution usually applies when copyright is shared with the public, like in a creative commons license, and so you give attribution to protect yourself, and direct to the CC license by said individual creator. Citation is when you have licensed with private terms a copyright piece.

It does not protect you, it just proves that you acted in good faith... So there was no intentional infringement of your's.

Attribution is necessary according to the license terms for any editorial use. You may use any picture for editorial use, but editorial pictures can be used only for editorial use. The license you take for editorial use (of non editorial pictures) is either a standard or an extended license.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started