• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preview enough or do I need a standard license for paintings?

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello lovely Adobe Team,

I'm a freelance artist which creates different kind's of paintings.
I would like to use your images as a reference for my paintings and im wondering if I need to buy the standard license to sell my paintings?

Your image is not the reason for buying my artwork, it is just a help for me to find proportions and to have something to refer to as I'm still lacking in creating something from my imagination.

To illustrate an example of my artwork I'm posting the reference which I own the license from unsplash and my painting.

the referencethe reference

my paintingmy painting

Kind regards,

Leon Petersohn

TOPICS
Licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

You are wrong. Your artwork is derived from the asset on Adobe stock and the reason to buy your artwork is the image. That is different from a book where the reason is the book content or a song where the reason is the song and in both cases the image is only accessory.

You need an extended license.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are wrong. Your artwork is derived from the asset on Adobe stock and the reason to buy your artwork is the image. That is different from a book where the reason is the book content or a song where the reason is the song and in both cases the image is only accessory.

You need an extended license.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks for your information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you still need an extended licence if you didn't intend to sell the painting. Either just using the image as a reference for a personal art project or using the image for a painting displayed as a promotional tool ? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you do not sell the image, but just expose in your gallery, a standard license would be enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started