Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Query re a Harry Potter design -extended licence

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, my first post!

I've brought a design from Adobe Stock, with the extended licence, which I'd like to use for commercial purposes (put on mugs we sell for charity fundraising, very small scale).

It's a Harry Potter design, no images just some wording, seems like the right font, etc.

I double checked with the online chat service, that I could do this, and that I would not get into trouble with Warner Bros! They said all images are checked, for the right licences, rights to sell, etc.

However, upon mentioning it in a FB group for printers, everyone is up in arms about it, saying there is no way I can sell it.  To be honest, I was dubious, but when assured by the online chat lady (I screenshot it to make sure I'm not going mad!), I thought I'd give it a go.

The extended licence does say that it can be used for merchandise etc, but how do I definitely know that I'm not going to get a cease and desist letter?

Many thanks for anyone who can help.

Happy to send any one a copy of the image for reference if needed (if this is allowed).

TOPICS
Licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Hello, many thanks for replying to all those who have!

Here's the image, but today when I check, this is not available, it's disappeared from the sellers portfolio.

What are my chances of getting a refund, as obvious there is a problem, very glad I have not sold any! And it cost £47.99 plus VAT so not a small amount (have since seen it for £2.99 inc commercial rights yeah right!)

Many thanks!

1000_F_444315770_t70o2jRlQysDQavP5BZh1iHv4MgyzWNz.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Thank you very much, I spoke to someone on chat, and the image has been removed by the portfolio owner, so Adobe are refunding me.

Many thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is odd, can you share the asset number of the stock graphic - no need to send the image itself? You are wise to be cautious. Most Harry Potter related images seem to say "Editorial only". Others are of things which Harry Potter is associated with (such as the iconic train setting) but doesn't own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can attach a picture here using the “landscape picture icon”:

Abambo_0-1632916683894.png

For the stock image, simply post the link to the asset. Harry Potter-themed designs are for sure not freely available.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also: remember that IP isn't just original pictures. It's drawings and representations. It's the name of character, places, and anything trademarked. It's the style of posters and publicity. The very fact you want to make something a "Harry Potter design" is a huge red flag. So it's entirely possible to take something allowed and make something that will attract the attention of Warner Bros lawyers. And they can afford much better lawyers than you or I. We aren't allowed to give you legal advice either... (by law).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, many thanks for replying to all those who have!

Here's the image, but today when I check, this is not available, it's disappeared from the sellers portfolio.

What are my chances of getting a refund, as obvious there is a problem, very glad I have not sold any! And it cost £47.99 plus VAT so not a small amount (have since seen it for £2.99 inc commercial rights yeah right!)

Many thanks!

1000_F_444315770_t70o2jRlQysDQavP5BZh1iHv4MgyzWNz.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact customer care, https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html, for assistance with your issue. Click on the chat icon in the lower right portion of the page. If you are unable to see this feature you may need to scroll down before it will appear or set your browser to private or incognito mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much, I spoke to someone on chat, and the image has been removed by the portfolio owner, so Adobe are refunding me.

Many thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started