Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resolution too low

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community, 

I'm brand new here, a one time user of Adobe Stock. I would like to buy a picture for a bigger wall poster and need a high resolution for that purpose. But as I realize most pictures here are too small. 
Is there any chance to get a picture I like in a higher resolution than offered officially in the first place? 
I'm very thankful for any hint. 
Regards, Ker

TOPICS
Download

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

That would be about 150 ppi which should be plenty for any normal wall poster, unless it is designed to be examined for details from a few inches away. The 300 ppi "magic number" is really the "coffee table book" figure.

Images of 12000 x 8000 pixels - 96 megapixels would be rare indeed, very little professsional equipment even today would take that (the $50,000 top Hasselblad can manage it), yet people have been hanging wall posters for a long time...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ker,

I'm sorry but we don't have additional options to get a picture in a higher resolution than offered officially.

Best,
Contributor1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What resolution would you need for your wall poster? Most of the pictures in stock are suitable for billboard printing…

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I planned a wall poster that is about one meter at the long side. I wanted to send it to one of these photo print services in the internet. Would that be possible with an Adobe Stock photo that is offered with 6000x4000 px? I would assume no way?!

Thanks, Ker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be about 150 ppi which should be plenty for any normal wall poster, unless it is designed to be examined for details from a few inches away. The 300 ppi "magic number" is really the "coffee table book" figure.

Images of 12000 x 8000 pixels - 96 megapixels would be rare indeed, very little professsional equipment even today would take that (the $50,000 top Hasselblad can manage it), yet people have been hanging wall posters for a long time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! So you say the 6000x4000 px should be sufficient for my purpose? I can print a 1meter poster with it? Best, Ker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @Test Screen Name said: 150ppi is plenty enough for this type of application. You could easily go for 100ppi if needed. The 300ppi figure is for standard applications, like high quality book printing. Indeed, the pixel density is a function of the viewing distance. If you look at a near distance of several inches to industrial wall papers and posters, you will see that the density is not as that of a printed book. You don't need that density, because you will not look at that poster with your nose on the wall.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your replies! Very helpful! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started