Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Stock Photo Licensing Question

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, We use Adobe stock photos on our website. They were purchased, however, the guy who purchased them no longer works for our company. Do I need to repurchase these photos on behalf of the company? If I do, how do I transfer the license to the company so they don't have to buy them again? 

TOPICS
Licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry about that. Adobe does not respond to licensing questions other than pointing to the licence as published on the Adobe website. If you want a fools proof answer, you need to consult with your IP lawyer, which will probably cost more than just relicense the assets correctly.

My five cents:

All depends on your contract you had with your employee and who paid for the subscription/the assets. This is always to be sorted out beforehand, not afterwards.

If you have proof that you repaid the employee, you could claim that the employee licensed the images on your behalf. It is however not possible for you to transfer the licence to your company when a third person purchased the asset.

Look here for more information on licensing: https://community.adobe.com/t5/stock/links-for-licensing-terms/td-p/11366788
(Disclaimer: As always with licensing, this is my interpretation of the rules. I think they are correct and advice is based in reading and interpreting the licence terms and on fair use for both the buyer and the artist/stock company, but I can not rule out that my interpretation is wrong. I'm not an Adobe employee)

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started