• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Usage rights for Standard License

New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to start using stock images for my artworks and am thinking of signing up to Adobe stock.  I chatted to someone on the help chat who said you couldn't modify standard license images, but then the T&Cs for Standard License say 

"you may not incorporate a Work into merchandise intended for sale or distribution [...] unless (a) the Work has been modified to the extent that the new work, as incorporated into such merchandise, is not substantially similar to the Work and can qualify as an original work of authorship; or (b) the primary value of such merchandise does not lie with the Work itself". (Section 3.B.2)

And well, now I'm confused. 

I want to put the images into my digital collages and try to seel those collages as prints and maybe other things for the home like wall decals or maybe wallpaper if it goes well.  So say take a stock image of a cow, but put it into a landscape made up of maybe 40 photos where the cow is a bit of it. 

My questions - 

Can I modify standard license images?  To incorporate into a larger digital collage?

Are there any other guidelines for defining "not substantially similar to the Work and can qualify as an original work of authorship"?

Apart from the 500 000 views, are there any restrictions on what for products I can put that digital collage artwork on? 

How much do I need to modify the stock image?  Say I use one that is cut out on a white ground, is having it as an image in a larger collage, with some adjustments to lighting enough? 

TOPICS
Plans and purchase , Terms of use

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I want to start using stock images for my artworks and am thinking of signing up to Adobe stock.  I chatted to someone on the help chat who said you couldn't modify standard license images, but then the T&Cs for Standard License say 

By @Laura24281607c3c9

This is why Adobe doesn't like to have employees answering licensing question other than to point to the licencing therms. In this case, the helpdesk employee did only confuse you with his false answer. You are allowed, with a few exceptions, to change and edit stock images to fit your needs. I've seen fantastic stock photo edits, and it would be quite limiting to use them only "unedited".

Can I modify standard license images?  To incorporate into a larger digital collage?

By @Laura24281607c3c9

Yes.

Apart from the 500 000 views, are there any restrictions on what for products I can put that digital collage artwork on? 

By @Laura24281607c3c9

With a standard licence, you can't put the asset on items for sale like a mug, T-shirt, poster or similar.

How much do I need to modify the stock image?  Say I use one that is cut out on a white ground, is having it as an image in a larger collage, with some adjustments to lighting enough? 

By @Laura24281607c3c9

No need to modify at all. But you are allowed to modify at your will with very little restrictions. The restrictions are for adult industry and political parties mostly. You need to read the terms for the exact restrictions.

The terms and conditions as laid out on the Adobe website are the only legally binding document between you as a stock customer and Adobe stock.

Look here for more information on licensing: https://community.adobe.com/t5/stock/links-for-licensing-terms/td-p/11366788
(Disclaimer: As always with licensing, this is my interpretation of the rules. I think they are correct and advice is based on reading and interpreting the licence terms and on fair use for both the buyer and the artist/stock company, but I cannot rule out that my interpretation is wrong. I'm not an Adobe employee).

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started