Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Use of Stock Images for Yearbook Cover

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have standart licence credits that I wanted to you for the cover design of my school's yearbook. The cover will display "22" and I wanted to use a stock "2" design from Adobe Stocks. In the standard licencing agreement is says that I may not use standard licencing for redistributing and reselling merchandise (which a yearbook would fall into) if "the primary value of the product is associated with the asset itself." My argument is that the yearbook as an asset is unaffected by the addition of the stock design on the cover since people are purchasing it for the photos (owned by the school) in the actual book. The question is do I require an extended licence for this or can I stick with the standart at no extra costs?

TOPICS
Licensing, Plans and purchase, Terms of use

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The general feeling seems to be the same as you. People indeed are buying the yearbook for what is inside. For a clear case of the opposite: think of a tee shirt with a design on it, in a shop full of tee shirts; the photo may well make the sale.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use your standard license. You are stating correctly that the primary value does not lie in the Adobe stock asset, but in the book itself. 

Look here for more information on licensing: https://community.adobe.com/t5/stock/links-for-licensing-terms/td-p/11366788
(Disclaimer: As always with licensing, this is my interpretation of the rules. I think they are correct and advice is based on reading and interpreting the licence terms and on fair use for both the buyer and the artist/stock company, but I cannot rule out that my interpretation is wrong. I'm not an Adobe employee).

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started