Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Which license do I need for commercial uses? and what do I do if I want to use the same image again?

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just recently  subscribed to the 10 standard licenses/month plan and have a few questions. 

I'm confused as to what the difference between the licensing options are.

The standard option says how we are not allowed to use the image in resale,  I get that this means not using one unedited image on a shirt, but what about when using one or more images and editing them in the same design? As for tshirts and posters etc,  does it matter if it is me who sells the final product and not another party?

I also want to use mockups and templates to show my designs to clients/social media etc, will the standard licenses cover this? Is the standard license purely for personal portfolio use and not aything commercial? 

What do I do if I want to use the same mockup/template/image for another project, do I need to re-license the indvidual works?

Thanks

TOPICS
General, Licensing, Terms of use

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have a lot of questions and all the answers are in the licensing terms.

(...)but what about when using one or more images and editing them in the same design?

One image or 2 images does not matter. You need the extended license in this case for both images. If however you crete a completly new artwork from different pieces and the original artwork is no more recognizable, you may be ok with a standard license. For the later case, you need to consult with a license lawyer.

As for tshirts and posters etc, does it matter if it is me who sells the final product and not another party?

No, you need an extended license. If you are doing work for a customer, the customer needs an extended license. You are, however, allowed to buy the license for the customer. The customer, however, needs to adhere to the licensing terms from Adobe (or terms of your own that are at least so stringent than Adobe's)

I also want to use mockups and templates to show my designs to clients/social media etc, will the standard licenses cover this?

Yes, the main work here is your design and work and not the mockup. You use the mockup to help you performing better, which is the essence of using a mockup instead of starting from scratch.

Is the standard license purely for personal portfolio use and not aything commercial?

Well, it would be quite limited if you could not do commercial work with what your license from Adobe stock. So yes, a lot of companies are using a stock provider for all kind of meterial they need, so that they do not need to create that stuff. This keeps them competitive. And gives a living for the stock contributors (and for Adobe). Win win...

What do I do if I want to use the same mockup/template/image for another project, do I need to re-license the indvidual works?

Tricky question. This depends... Basically you license an asset for one client. The important thing here is the client, not the project. If you license an asset for a brochure, you may use the same asset for a website or even a second brochure for the same client. But you may not use the same asset for a different client (or your own use) if you do not relicense.  Be aware, that sometimes there are limits on the use of an asset. Those limits are in place for each client: a print run limit of 500k means you can print one brochure in 500k exemplaries or 5 with each 100k or a combined print run of less than 500k.

Look here for more information on licensing: https://community.adobe.com/t5/stock/links-for-licensing-terms/td-p/11366788
(Disclaimer: As always with licensing, this is my interpretation of the rules. I think they are correct and advice is based reading and interpreting the license terms and on fair use for both the buyer and the artist/stock company, but I can not rule out that my interpretation is wrong. I'm not an Adobe employee)

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started