• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Adobe allowing its stock be flooded with AI-generated images?

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some time now, Adobe Stock has even been flooded with images generated by algorithms using machine learning.

I'm no expert, but one can read on the Internet that such images are not covered by copyright. So the question is: what are they doing in Adobe Stock? As we probably all know, the software that generates these images does not create them the way humans do. These algorithms need to be "fed" with samples of other images. The first authors are appearing, claiming that their works are reworked and used by AI algorithms.

I'm a graphic designer who has been using Adobe Stock for years, and I have serious doubts about whether using such images is a good idea. The law has not kept up with the development of technology, and when I buy a license for a particular image, I would like to be sure that I won't be sued in the future for violating someone's copyright.

TOPICS
Asset Quality , Licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

a) you do not need to licence generative AI assets, if you have doubts about their usability. Adobe is taking steps to identify generative AI. Currently, a lot of the assets submitted before December 6, the publication of new rules for contributors, are not yet following the rules, but progress gets made.

b) contributors submitting to stock are confirming to Adobe that they have full copyright on those assets. As I agree that the situation is not 100% clear to all of us, I suppose that Adobe has made its research and has checked the copyright situation. Check the licencing terms, you get a certain protection against claims arising from legal claims against you. You need to decide for yourself, if you want to licence those assets or not.

IMHO: I currently would avoid AI. But it's not something that we will keep from evolving and getting better. I'm confident that a few years from now, that AI will dominate stock, and not only Adobe stock.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started