adobe stock vectors- cannot adjust stroke width because its a fill line????

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this continuous issue. I acquire something from Adobe Stock and it is a fill stroke (?) not a path. I cannot adjust the stroke width, as you can see the stroke is at zero and the vector still has thick stroke lines. I have tried relentlessly in Illustrator CC to make these fill Ines into strokes/paths.

Does anyone have this problem? Ta Boot- I can't work with any vectors in after effects because they ARE NOT paths and I have to redraw them within the program in order to adjust them in illustrator and in the AE scenario in order to ANIMATE THEM,

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I AM MISSING! thanks in advance...

Grace

Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 1.45.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-07 at 1.45.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-07 at 1.46.24 PM.png

[Moved from Illustrator to Adobe Stock by moderator.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussion successfully moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to Illustrator

If the « line » is in reality a filled geometric construction, you have no further options.

Regards, Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is every vector like that in Adobe Stock? I just randomly started picking ones out and they are all like this..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mgracea  schrieb

Why is every vector like that in Adobe Stock? I just randomly started picking ones out and they are all like this..

It is usually a requirement by the stock vendor that strokes are expanded.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but there is no stroke...the third picture I have shows the vector and the stroke width is zero- which would normally make is disappear

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mgracea  schrieb

but there is no stroke...the third picture I have shows the vector and the stroke width is zero- which would normally make is disappear

It has been converted to a shape.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what's the point of having stock images then? I guess its just to use them as they are? I generally like to take different elements of a stock design as inspiration and its not a big deal to just recreate it, I was  just under the impression that Adobe offers this stock service to help with efficiency...im wondering now if its just a waste of money...

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe offers them, but doesn't create them.

For the artwork to be suitable for everyone it needs to meet certain requirements. You are able to adjust stroke width. Other people struggle with stroke widths scaling with the artwork or not doing so. So for stock companis it's easier to require strokes to be expanded. Especially they require it for open paths.

This rule is also different for some stock companies and the uploaders offer their artworks to different companies.

But actually I don't see why Offset path doesn't work for you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

because the offset path still has the characteristics of the stock vector- it doesn't behave the way it should- I did find a work around that is really just dumbing it down- printing the image and the taking a photo with Adobe Capture...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mgracea  wrote

...im wondering now if its just a waste of money...

Yes and no. Some stock assets are a waste of money, especially if you are able to recreate the asset in little or no time. Some are simply not working. But we use stock extensively and modify them extensively and we have rarely a problem with.

Regards, Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

\

I have found them to work before and then just recently most have not. so I thought maybe I missed an update or didnt make the right adjustments. When I go back to the ones that did work- I couldnt see anything that I did differently -

I actually have had this same issue from other stock companies, I was forwarded a stock image from a coworker to animate that he got from somewhere else and wasn't able to either. I just redrew it- which is not a BIG deal just got me going as to WHY I can't..

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mgracea,

It is rather crude with a number of paths instead of being just one (compound) path, which I believe you can change it into by simply selecting everything and Pathfinder>Unite (or you may use Shape Builder).

Otherwise the overlapping parts (most obvious in your second screenshot) can cause a mess (visibly by sticking out or making a gap).

Once you have it as a single (compound) path, you can select it and Object>Path>Offset Path by the positive/negative amount of you desired change in apparent Stroke Weight.

You can hide the original path for safekeeping (in the Layers palette) or delete it if you are certain.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

didn't work...but thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mgracea,

didn't work...but thanks

I believe it can.

There were two steps, first the uniting of the paths, then the offsetting.

Could you unite the paths? If not, there may be something more to it, such as a Clipping Mask that needs to be released. Including the Layers palette with the relevant Layer expanded may help the helpers help you.

If you could/can unite the paths, what happens (not) when you try offsetting? Here a screenshot may be useful, too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines