Alternative to Open .ai files

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had previously been using GIMP to open .ai files since I do not have adobe illustrator (or any of the other apps).  Now new downloads will not open in GIMP or Inkscape (but the old downloads still do).  Are there any alternatives that do not require me to purchase one of the apps?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Alternative to Open .ai files

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had previously been using GIMP to open .ai files since I do not have adobe illustrator (or any of the other apps).  Now new downloads will not open in GIMP or Inkscape (but the old downloads still do).  Are there any alternatives that do not require me to purchase one of the apps?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 15, 2019 0
Abambo LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing equal to Adobe Illustrator to open Ai files.

There are some programs out that claim that they open Ai files, but you really need to pay attention to the version. And you do not get the version of the Ai file as an info before acquiring the asset.

See here for details and programs (without guarantee): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Illustrator_Artwork

Regards, Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2019 1
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started