• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Am I covered by the standard licence for modified pictures in a children's book?

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have licenced 20 or so images and added to each a colorful frame and text box with a Title, blurb/"logo"  and writing prompt sentence for children to use in their creative writing. I've put these modified images in a children's book because I was asked to by a homeschooling parent. At the start of the book I say the images can not be copied and at the end of the book I have a thumbnail of each image with the author and Adobe Stock reference number and request that people purchase their own licence if they wish to use the image in their own projects.

Do you think this use is covered by the standard licence?

Thanks for your help

Karen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Hi Karen,

Please see the legal subscription terms of Adobe Stock licenses: https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/legal/servicetou/Adobe_Stock_Terms-en_US-20170630_2200.pdf  where you can see the usage of standard assets and their restrictions as well.

Further for more clarification, you may also get in touch with our support team(link shared above).

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... I'm not 100% (best to wait for an Adobe Staff member to help you with this question) - especially as you are working in Education.

As I understand it:

• An image purchased with Standard license is linked to ONE client (the school for which you create the book).
  • The School (the ONE Client) may use the same image for other publications or on their web-site, as long as it's not reproduced more than 500,000 times (I think that's the number, which is probably highly unlikely for a school to do... but if you were like a newspaper publisher you'd need to get a different license).
  • In other words, the images may only be used for one client, and not for two different clients. E.g. people aren't allowed to copy them and use them in their own projects that are not school projects.

Whether or not students of the school can use the same image is question I can't answer.

My assumption is that a teacher could use it in their learning materials as well as part of the school license, as could the school put it on their web-site.

Hopefully one of the Stock licensing experts will add to this and provide you with a more conclusive answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that Cari, that was helpful but not quite the answer I was looking for.

My question is whether I can sell my modified images in a book that the purchaser can use for their own personal study purposes.  I have seen from someone else's question that you can use images in a book and just wanted to check that this would also apply in this case.  The children will use the sentence or two I have written to start their own stories, the images are simply there to get their imagination going to write their own stories. They will as such not be using the  images in their writing.

The images complement the sentences, but are not the main thing.  The sentences are what the children will be using to write from (with reference to the picture).  The book is a collection of Story Starters, the Story Starters being the actual sentences.

I hope this makes sense.

It would be awesome if one of the licensing experts could give their opinion. 

Thanks

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen,

Please see Re: Can I use Adobe Stock photos in a Children's book that is all photos? where this query has been addressed.

Let me know if that helps!

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Sheena

That was good, and I thought I had the answer but when I got to the bottom it was still confusing!  Looked like "Stfarrell" was okay to do his picture book according to someone at Adobe but then someone else disagreed. Is there someone I can send my images too who will be able to give an opinion specific to my case? Maybe the "Beverley' he was referred to?

Thanks!

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen,

Can you give some examples/screenshots on how you plan to use them?

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Twarita

I've attached a copy of an inside page and the copyright pages.

Thanks for taking a look.

All the best

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen,

As I did not receive any file, could you please try attaching the file here so that I can have a look and solve your query accordingly.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Twarita

I am trying again.

Can you please email to confirm you've received these or not

Thanks

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have sent you a private message please check and reply.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen,

Sorry for a delay in response, I have gone through your screenshots and would like to let you know that you would be requiring an extended license because the primary value of the book is the images in this case.

You may also contact our support team Support FAQ: How can I contact Adobe for support? for further assistance.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Twarita

Thanks for taking the time to look at the images.  It is disappointing ,

I have to admit, but I understand.  Better to find out now.

Can you please give me your opinion on whether I can do any of the

following under the standard license:

1. Can I publish an e-book with the images and copyright etc,a s per the

print book.

2. Is it okay for me to publish the images on my Facebook page? Each

image has the copyright information displayed on the actual image and is

published at low resolution.

3. Can I display the images on my website? Am I able to make the images

on my website downloadable if I have them at a low resolution and with a

copyright note?

4. I'd like to offer a free monthly PDF of 4-5 images along with a free

short story I've written for children and some advertising for my other

books.  Would this be allowable under the standard license?

Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

All the best

Karen Cossey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Karen,

Please see the legal subscription terms of Adobe Stock licenses: https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/legal/servicetou/Adobe_Stock_Terms-en_US-20170630_2200.pdf  where you can see the usage of standard assets and their restrictions as well.

Further for more clarification, you may also get in touch with our support team(link shared above).

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started