Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CD cover for pure online distribution

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community!

I'm currently designing a cd cover for a production that will be sold solely via online distribution (for now). I assume, it will not sell more than a few hundred copies. Nonetheless, I would like to know, whether or not a Standard License is enough, or if I need the extended license. There won't be any promotional material like Shirts printed with the cover, so that would also not be a reason to get the extended license.

I'm just unsure about the "500.000 copies" rule. Since the resulting digital music file will contain the cover, is it number of times the album will be sold, that cannot exceed 500.000, or is it like with fonts, where you buy "views", so if the album cover is displayed on a distributor's site (Amazon, iTunes, what have you), every view counts as a copy? If it's the latter, it's going to be virtually impossible to know, how many times the image was viewed, so I would definitely need the extended license. However, I kind of doubt that's going to be the case. It's even going to be difficult to know the actual number of copies of the music files. But, as I stated at the beginning, this is a very local production, that would be amazing, if it exceeded even 2.000 sales.

Can anyone give me some insights into which license would be best? Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Christoph

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

CD Covers work the same as book covers. Up to a distribution of 500,000. So in the case of an electronic album you would go by sales. Having said that it is always a good idea to include the photo credits along with any other credits.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CD Covers work the same as book covers. Up to a distribution of 500,000. So in the case of an electronic album you would go by sales. Having said that it is always a good idea to include the photo credits along with any other credits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, so I should be safe using the standard license. If we ever reach 500.000 units sold, it should not be a problem to get a new license 🙂

We will definitely include the credits, although I have no idea, where they would be included in an online distribution. But, I guess we'll find a spot for it.

Thanks for your feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started