• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Designing Book Cover with Modified Asset - Standard License?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client who is a writer and she's having me design her book covers as well as the inner layouts. I've created a book cover design using a Standard License asset which I have since modified and added other elements to. In this case is the Standard License sufficient?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Reuben,

I would suggest you to have the license transferred to your client (who will be the end seller) in order to prevent confusion.

Please see the licensing terms for Adobe Stock here: https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/legal/servicetou/Adobe_Stock_Additional_Terms_en_US_20180605_2200.pdf (Section 3.4 a ) in order to get more details on the client use.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Reuben,

Thanks for reaching out to the Adobe Stock community.

Ideally, if you are using an image from Adobe Stock in a book cover you should be using an Extended license(since the cover is basically the face of a book and a book cover can also reflect what is inside that book, so again this will help you in selling the book). Any asset of Adobe Stock which is used in merchandise or for reselling purpose needs an Extended license.

However, if you are modifying the image(majorly) and then using it for your book cover, then a Standard license is fine.

Please go through the Adobe Stock licensing terms and restrictions to know more Stock Licensing & terms FAQ: Where can I find the terms and licensing information for Adobe Stock?

Hope this information helps!

Feel free to update this thread in case of any additional questions.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello twaritar3263062,

Thank you for your reply. I've gone ahead and purchased the Extended License for the assets in question. However my concern now is this, I know I have the rights to use the image without certain limitations, but how about my client. If the book is designed by me for someone else and they're the end seller, is there an issue? Thank you for your help on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reuben,

I would suggest you to have the license transferred to your client (who will be the end seller) in order to prevent confusion.

Please see the licensing terms for Adobe Stock here: https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/legal/servicetou/Adobe_Stock_Additional_Terms_en_US... (Section 3.4 a ) in order to get more details on the client use.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So according to the documentation, I would just have the client sign a written statement indicating that they will follow the stipulation in the Stock Licensing Term? But if they don't, I will then incur the penalties, is that about right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Reuben,

Yes, that is right the client needs to sign a written statement indicating that they will follow the stipulation in the Stock Licensing Term.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started